Author Topic: Clear coating plugs  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Clear coating plugs
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
Another general question.......what are are you guys coating the finished plug with.
I have used Flex Coat for many rods I have built.......I do realize you have to keep them turning slowly
or you wind up with a big mess.

Your Thoughts??

Thanks Bill

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Clear coating plugs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
There's as many clearcoats out there as hairs on your body.

Devcon 2 ton, flexcoat, etex, rod epoxies, bar top finishes, kbs diamond coat, aliphatic urethanes, uv, egads.

flex coat will work well and gives you a nice finish. Wear gloves and keep your finger oils off the paint/finish. Some use rod turners or barbecue rotisserie motors. You should turn them 1-2 rpm.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Clear coating plugs
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
well ive used flex coat and ive used envirotex.......i kinda favor envirotex ( Etex)......i use a small rod dryer motor from PAC BAY its an A.C. motor and ya just cant kill the thing.......and along with the motor i use a heat lamp to cure the plug......very light on the heat........but if your into spinning alot of plugs at one time then the nighbors rotisserie motor  work just fine  just dont get caught lifting it from his/her grill     if ya got flex coat then use it up it works just as well as ETEX.....but i find etex has a nicer finish..........to add a little sparkle to your plug  look up CS COATINGS which has extra fine glitters out there...................good luck bstotz
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent