Author Topic: Replacement wire?  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Replacement wire?
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
Yup, I did it. Had to work REALLY hard at it too! Spent a boatload of time getting a beautiful finish on a 1.5 oz Charktail Needlefish, forgot to put the swivel on before I wrapped the wire........ you can guess the rest.
SNAP! 
So I need a new wire. How do I go about that? Of course, after the fact I realized I could have just added a split ring to the loop and mounted the swivel to that.  :bash:

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Replacement wire?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
bluesbait we have the wires in 20 packs on the site under plug building hardware.

LOL you cut the wire then realized you messed up didn't you :)

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
Yup. Thanks for the info. Love your kits! BTW, is there a video on putting together a 2oz Dahtah? Don't want to screw THAT up too!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:51:03 AM »
No just the pictorial on the pictorial page. Hardest part is getting the nose loop in the right place before you epoxy it....and don't forget the swivel :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• I have a fishing equip. addiction please help
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
just surfin thru today just put in an order you know I never had a problem getting it rightwhat I did though is used some thickened epoxy to hold it in place before I really did anything other than seal it
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
Hi dafrods yes that works very well for holding the wire. Then once the hole is sealed a bit you can put more epoxy in and hold it super tight.

I have been using thick CA glue for about the past year or so now and that works very very well also. It's much faster than epoxy.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Is it possible to replace the wire on a SS needle fish? I'm not sure if I have the skill to do it right even if it is possible.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
possibly maybe they are made of plastic. Possible use A soldering iron abd heat up backend of the needle wiggle it to loosen it then same in front have to do this slowly as not to over heat the entire lure then reheat wirh tail high so heat rises toward tail keep trying to pull wire out at intervals with a slight twistng motion. might work sorta like stich and glue boat construction when removing the wire ties. jus remember apply heat from soldering iron to wire only.

not sure this will work but is what I might try. also why remove wire in the first place?

Dan
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
the middle swivel looks bad. Can't see any way to just replace that.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
ok heres a thought with a dremel cut a slot after removing what you can of the bad swivel the slip the new swivel on some metal rod press in place fill with epoxy just becareful not to damage the thru wire
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »
Those are just glued together...

I've heard in the past of people taking old atom lures and putting the wire ends across a battery...heating the wire and pulling it out.

Be careful doing this.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
liable to explode the battery.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
Sorta same Idea as my first one figured they were injected molded and figured either heat up or slot and replace just thinking you could fill part way with epoxy then fill with hot melt easier to shape
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
Easier to throw away and buy wood lures

:)