Author Topic: Rock maple  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Rock maple
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
Me and the boy have been turning some needlefish,god its almost to bad to cover up that beautiful grain  :D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Rock maple
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
flame
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
Beautiful stuff! Hard as iron.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »
Yeah got two rock maple logs 4' and 5' sawed up at the mill down the road.beautiful flaming in both logs, got more than I need if anyone wants a few peices let me know :D

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
hey nice flame.........dye them....first before you seal them  that grain will realy pop
plus dye work great in an air brush....but adj the air down to bout 20-25lbs
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
say herringchoker heres a pic of a flame needle dyed.....all colors are trans tint dyes....u had mentioned what a shame it would be to hide the grain.........so heres a pic of some blended olive yellow body and the top is dark olive  look up transtint dyes and use denatrued alcohol to mix the dyes in .....hit the plug first with the dye and then seal your plug.....you do nice work man and i consider you an arteeeeest.......and again nice flame and thanks for the offer for the maple

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
dyed
Uploaded with ImageShack.us olive/yell   

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
Arteeeest, lol  :D. WOW! Now that's what I talk bout! Beautiful plug! And thanks for the info on how to do it,so after the dye,seal it,I am going to us waterlox marine to seal my plugs after they dry is it ok to use the etex lite on top of the sealer?  Also name is Rich. And if you want some of this maple, tell what lengths to cut up, they have those if it fits it ships boxes at the post office I would be more than happy to send you some don't worry about the postage it means more to me to see it made into plugs like that! Thanks again  :D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
rich thanks again but im good on the flame maple.....yes first dye all your colors.... i even dye around the eyesocket to highlight the eyes in black but go light on your air...once the plug is all dyed then seal in waterlux....let dry real good and then e-tex it .....the dye wont penatrate the wood if sealed first......also after you opean your can of waterlux try to remove the air from the can.....or it will gell on you....that generaly acurrs when the can gets bout 1/2 empty.....but your flame will pop with the dyes......they'r not cheap but they go along way........same with the water lux i squeez the can to remove most of the air........good luck........and nice flame aswell and thanks for your offer

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »
I'll take some cut maple if you're giving it out. Would love to seal and do a light stain, show off the colors. :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
Sure thing, just pm me your adress and i sent it out,I am going to send some to handyman as well. How many pieces are you looking for and what length

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
PM sent. Thanks in advance! ;D