Author Topic: Coming at ya from the City of Brotherly love  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Coming at ya from the City of Brotherly love
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
14 years prior to getting married I had the pleasure of being part of a group that had 12 private charter trips per year off the coast of south Jersey but as it goes life changes in a heart beat so as my screen name implies I've returned to my river for guidance, a few years ago our herring run was shut down and no longer available as Striper candy so I began tackle making to beat the powers to be at their own game. I started out with soft plastics, I'm invested for several thousands of $ in that department then stumble onto painting crank baits which became addictive, crack comes to mind :o but it was lacking in bigger game tackle so I just picked up 5 kits from yours truly and man and I impressed with the quality and have already started the "build" here's some of my work prior to the big guns and will post my results as they progress here's just a small photo montage of my exploits:

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Coming at ya from the City of Brotherly love
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Glad you like the lures and welcome to the forum. If you got any questions just ask. If Peter J comes around just hide your women, children and tackle boxes  ;D
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
lol scott.....ol' peter jay    miss that guy............maybe ill leave him a e-mail to have him  to   stop by the site 
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
oh  nice lures   gone2long
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
oh  nice lures   gone2long

Thank you, looking forward to the big one's now I have one in the painting process but still need to complete my lure turner, I sealed with epoxy and thought if I turned every so often it would work but after putting paint on I can't believe all the ripples I am hoping when I do the top coat that they will go away defiantly going to be fishable but may not be up to my standard when held in hand. These big lures are a bigger take off than I thought coming from doing little bitty crack baits ;D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
G2L use acid brush like what we sell on the site, cut the bristles down 1/2 way with a pair of scissors. Then "draw" the epoxy across the lure with the stiffer bristles. Thin coat..flip 2-3 times holding with a vicegrip end to end off your workbench and should work much better. Alot of guys don't use traditional epoxy, they use envirotex lite, thin eith with a few drops of denatured alcohol. It will move alot easier and let you go thinner.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
I have Etex but my first go round with it was terrible I must have had a contaminate on my crank cause it fish eyed on me don't know how that happened as I don't touch anything after seal coat without gloves. Interesting on the acid brush idea I have a big bag of them thought they would leave to many uneven strokes gonna have to give that a try.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
The black brushes tend to leave alot of broken hairs, I've found the white bristles to be much better. One is horsehair the white is camel hair. Big difference in durability.

Definitely use just a few drops of denatured alcohol. Not sure why you got fisheyes but would say offhand it was finger oils. Yes once you start painting you can't use anything but gloves. I once ruined ~300 lures by touching them with hand cream on my hands...they fisheyed in the primer....You could see my finger marks!