Author Topic: Epoxy Coating  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Epoxy Coating
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
After many successful plugs, apparently i failed to mix the epoxy properly when applying the finishing coat, as the first 2 plugs of the last batch remain tacky and soft after 4 days (the others all dried fine from the same batch). Am i screwed or can i coat again with a new mix or just cost the existing with thinned hardener? 

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Epoxy Coating
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »

Most you can recoat with a very thin layer and it will cause it to dry.

There have been many issues with this. Always make sure to mix well with a non wood or solid stick. Plastic or metal preferred, What I like to do is make a small tin foil plate to spread the epoxy out on so it doesn't gel fast, thin with 2-3 drops of denatured alcohol, don't use anything silicone around this. Heat set your paint with a hair dryer, then with an acid brush cut down to 1/2 bristles use this to draw the epoxy over the paint in a thin layer. Don't touch the plug ever after it's painted you can get finger oils on the paint. This can cause fisheyes and adhesion issues.  If you mess up you can clean up with a little acetone before it dries. Cleanup only as Acetone can eat your paint if you put it on a plug. Mix to size specified. The little teeny graduated mixing cups are perfect to mix the epoxy in also if it's a real small amount. I may source these and get on the site.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
Thank you. I will give it a shot.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:57:59 AM »
Recoated with new mix of epoxy. It worked.

Thank you again.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »
Most excellent. Sucks when you put all the time into something and it could have to be tossed! Been there done that.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

keale

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
I know that feeling!!  I just resanded 4 plugs, because my spinner stopped and epoxy built up!
Tried sanding, but took off some paint!  Bummers, one of my better paint jobs too!