Author Topic: Eye trouble  (Read 4125 times)

fishingjim

Eye trouble
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:22:25 PM »
Just started to turn my own lures, found your site is a great help. But my problem is getting bubbles in the lure eyes that turn into ruptures in the eye. Could you tell me the correct procedure for putting the eyes in and epoxying them. Would appreciate any help. Thank you Jim M

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Eye trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »
Hi Jim you want to first glue the eye on with a suitable glue, dab of 30 min epoxy works well, a dab of silicone, thick glues that do plastic and wood. Let the glue dry then if you are using epoxy as a topcoat you want to thin it with some denatured alcohol then brush onto the lure, when you get to the eyes make sure you clean out the areas around the edges of the eyes. It sounds like you may not be cleaning that out far enough and you may be getting epoxy built up in there. You don't need to coat the eye just to hold it in.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

fishingjim

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I try to keep everything very clean I go thru 3 or 4 pair of rubber gloves a day. I do glue the eyes in with a contact glue suitable for wood and plastic. What do you clean the eye area with, I am afraid I would remove paint if I used a solvent. The epoxy I am using is Devcon home with a 30 min working time. I made a small drying box with a turning motor, I am going to put eyes in 2 lures tonite. I will follow your instruction and keep my fingers crossed, it is very frustrating that the last step can ruin hours of work, I will send a pic of my last success,  again thanks for your help..... fishingjim

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:21:26 AM »
I see what looks like little bubbles around the eye, you want to clean that out with your brush. You can sometimes take some of these bubbles out by blowing on them, gas gets stuck in the epoxy. Would not use any solvent on them. You can use acetone to clean your brushes though it works well. Acetone will remove most paints.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

fishingjim

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
Thanks alot..... going out to the barn to apply my top coat now. Fishingjim