Author Topic: Casting "Tin" mold??  (Read 8851 times)

Bob Thomas

Casting "Tin" mold??
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
Anyone have any idea where to get a reasonably priced casting tin mold that looks like this? I tried RTV and blew $100 on a paperweight.  Tried using Bondo with no success and even tried POP.  I just can't get the copy right. 

I'm tired of losing 10 a week at the canal at about $5 each.  Freakin' kills me!

Thanks!

njfish

Re: Casting "Tin" mold??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:02:37 AM »
What RTV did you try?  I know Alumilite has one that withstands the temp of lead which is like 621 degrees F.  There is another company that slips my mind right now that has a ton of molds.  You can also start with a Do-it they have a mess of selections along with a blank mold but then you need to cut it.  Try a google search

Bob Thomas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
I used the RTV High-heat, red colored.  Problem was the mold came out awful!  Same with all the molds.  It's such a thin profile, I cant get a good mold out of it.

I'm going to try a Do-it mold that kind of looks similar.  For what I need, it should do...hopefully

Damn jigs work so well, though

njfish

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
I have done some thin minnows with Alumilites stuff.  I think I may have used the putty.  Check out Larry Dahlbergs site.  Hunt For Big Fish as he sells Alumilite and has a video on his site and also Versus Country TV.  He shows how to make a modl and pour those thin minnows.  I did a mess of them about a year ago w/ a friend and they came out great.  After pouring I wrapped w Flashbou tube, colered w/ marker then finish coated it -freaking awesome

Bob Thomas

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
Very interesting video, NJ. Ive tried so many mold making goods I gave up. Got the "flutter jig" mold in the other day. Tried it today. Tough one to pour as it's so thin the lead needs to be real hot. Got 15 done to try. I really like the megabait style but after deep thought this should work just fine.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »
Do not do anything that guy shows you on those videos please. This guy will be dead very shortly. Inhaling fumes constantly and mixing microballoons without a respirator or vent. You can't breathe that stuff.

There are some seriously stupid people in this world and after I watched those videos I could not believe how dumb that guy was for the things he was doing.

BE SAFE PEOPLE
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »
THIS is how you do it Bob
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Bob Thomas

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
THIS is how you do it Bob

Wish I had THAT system for these jigs....tough little buggers!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
well send me 8 of them and a sample wire and I'll have a mold made.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
A couple of comments: (OK, probably more than a couple) The mold putty can be a pain in the ass to get right, but it can be done, as long as you don't expect professional results right off the bat. The tin with the yellow tail in the pictures is my first attempt at molding from scratch, and after wrecking the first mold (as I expected to do LOL) the second one came out OK. The learning curve is pretty steep, since pouring with rubber molds is a lot different than using aluminum; it took me three days to pour a fishable jig, but I'm getting the hang of it in small steps. I make my masters from Sculpey III and give them a few coats of acrylic to smooth out the surface. The results aren't good enough to sell (yet) but they're plenty good enough to fish. The tin in the pic is three and a half ounces and it swims great. I'm going to try pourable silicone once I run out of mold putty; I think it's probably better suited for getting good detail, something that's tough to get with the putty. I've worked up a lot of designs over the winter, and I'll probably hunt up somebody to make some aluminum molds when I decide which ones I like the best. BTW, I use pure tin - my wife's studio loft is on the second floor of the garage, and she doesn't want any lead smelting going on downstairs. Neither do I, come to think of it. Besides, tin is really something to see in the water.

The Do-it flutter jig in the picture is also tin - the trick to pouring these little beauties is (aside from making sure the metal is good and hot) is to heat up the through-wires before you put them in the mold, which should also be as hot as you can get it. I use a Hot Pot 2, and I just lay the wires on the metal stand while the tin melts, and they're ready to go when the metal is. Pouring metal is a lot of fun, but it does take practice.

"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Bob Thomas

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
Thanks, Bugger.  going to hold off.  These flutter jigs look pretty good for now.  Gotta see what the fishes think.  I've got about 25 done so far so I'm good for 1 outing  ::)

PJ...Haven't tried tin as of yet.  Going with lead for now and painting.  Used some foil tape and got a decent shine. Want to try some holographic paper/stickers but can't find them at AC Moore.  Gonna hunt around a bit

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »
say pj!!!.....................NICE TINS...............dam  i got try that............nice job 8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »
Thanks Handyman, I appreciate the comments. I did a lot of R&D over the winter, so I knew what to expect, (sort of anyway) and I was prepared for some disappointments. Seems like every time I learned something, ten more questions would pop up. A buddy of mine did an article on pouring tin for On The Water last fall, and some of the conversations we had on the subject got me interested in making some metals of my own. It's kind of a lost art these days; not many folks are pouring tin any more. Most of the stuff that's currently out there is either lead and/or based on very old designs, and I thought it would be fun to come up with a few of my own. If it's something you want to try, I'll be more than happy to help you avoid some of the pitfalls. My experience is pretty limited, but I've screwed up just about every step of the way, so I've got a pretty good idea of some of the things you wouldn't want to do.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
yea  pj  those  r some sweet tins.............well  may be this comming winter...ill start a new project.....in the fall.......when thing start to slow down........im just wrapping up a few plugs...........and work is going crazy......plus ill be fishing non stop 8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:42 AM »
price of tin right now is out of control.