Author Topic: What's your "choice" plugging Rod  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
What's your "choice" plugging Rod
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
Hey Gang - I have my first plugs rotating after sealing them.  I'm really excited about building my own plugs, but this got me thinking...  Being new to plugging, or at least finally taking it serious, what's your go-to plugging rod.  I've have one, but when purchased a few years back, I really didn't know what to look for.  so how bout it guys, what's your rod of choice to send these beauties to tease up some stripers?

BTW - my fishing area is IBSP/Sea Girt, but I really enjoy RI as well as Martha's Vineyard/Mass.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: What's your "choice" plugging Rod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:08:24 AM »
St Croix musky sticks on the boat and Legend in the surf.

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:11:11 AM »
lami 121L

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »
St.Croix Mojo Surf, spin 10' 6"- med power, mod.action. 3/4-4 oz (my favorite)
           Mojo         spin 10' 6"  med hev.    med fast     2-6 oz    Pick up Monday

"          "Tidemaster 8'-conventional xh-xf- 3/4-3oz
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
yo! brucie baby......did i see u fish IBSP.......hay we should hook up....i just left seaside was fishin left side of the IBML{island beach motor lodge} couple of nice cuts and a nice pocket between to sand bars........well... as far as a rod goes.... poppers i keep it short 8' saint croix or 9'  swimmers about the same  i dont throw heavier 1.5/2.0 oz  and if want some distance my 11'lami  line 12-20 lb......lure3/4 -2.5..... st.croix mod-fast 8-17lb....lure 1/2 oz 2.0    most of my plugs are 1.5 oz  and i have no problem slingin the tallywacker........now thats my night plug and before first light.......som bitch aint got  any hits on it yet......but when i do its gona be a big one the wacker is a sweet plug  swims great i did modifie it a little........dont tell salty ;D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
Handyman, if you saw me at IBSB, you saw me in spirit.  I was running around at home, but yes we need to hook up.  I built a 9footer, but am eyeing up the 11' lami 34/-2.5 for these plugs.  I don't throw anything heavier then 2.5 oz, and I think I'd get some distance on the 11footer.  I'm both a "fly swatter" as well as plugger.  I"m from PA, and it takes me about 2hrs to get down there.  How's the surf after the storm?

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
hay bruce  the surf was good nice bass water but no bass or blues......i didnt even see any birds workin...i was on the beach at 5:00 fished moon light with the tallywacker but nothing....caught alot of fluke though.... yea it takes me 1.5hrs to hit the beach  from my house in ringoes n.j.......i just got done last winter building a lami 11'er  just for those bass way beyond third breaker i frequent BETTY&NICKS and i stay at the IBML[island beach motor lodge] to get some night fishing in and wake up early to fish first light......say im not sure but  mudhole tackle might have that lami blank look at the liquidation ron arra surf series 11' one piece......tight lines
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent