Author Topic: R.I.P. Old Linesides  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Out Fishing

R.I.P. Old Linesides
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
These numbers come from NOAA - they're the total number of stripers landed in Massachusetts year by year. It's not exactly shocking to anyone who fishes for striped bass, but it's still enough to make a grown man cry.

Your Query Parameters:

Query:
MRIP CATCH TIME SERIES

Year:
2006 - 2011

Wave:
ANNUAL

Species:
STRIPED BASS

Geographic Area:
MASSACHUSETTS

Fishing Mode:
ALL MODES COMBINED

Fishing Area:
ALL AREAS COMBINED

Type of Catch:
TOTAL CATCH (TYPE A + B1 + B2)

Information:
NUMBERS OF FISH

Estimate Status
Year
Common Name
Total Catch (A+B1+B2)
PSE
FINAL
STRIPED BASS
FINAL
STRIPED BASS
FINAL
STRIPED BASS
FINAL
STRIPED BASS
FINAL
STRIPED BASS
PRELIMINARY
STRIPED BASS

Decrease from 2006 to 2011 is 6,802,000 fish, a decrease of 83.7%
Decrease from 2010 to 2011 was 690,000 fish, a decrease of 34%

"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: R.I.P. Old Linesides
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
Going to move this to the Main saltwater forum. This is something that everyone should see. Not good. Thanks for posting that Peter
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. There's always a pack of loudmouths out there who aren't smart or educated enough to pull their heads out of each others' a$$es long enough to see what's really going on. (I shouldn't even get started on this topic - I can feel a rant coming on.......here it comes.......AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH) Lots of people saw this coming even when the species was rebounding back in the late 90's. Despite all the self-congratulatory crowing by “fisheries management” types, neither the bass population nor the forage biomass had been restored to historic levels, and going right back to business as usual was a surefire recipe for another collapse. And here we are again. It may or may not be possible to reverse the trend, but the minute you start talking about instituting another striper moratorium, eliminating commercial exploitation, and shutting down the menhaden reduction industry, the whiners come out in droves.

It usually goes something like this:

1) "There ain't really no problem - hell, there’s just as many fish as there ever was. Why, just look at that 81-pounder over in Connecticut. My cousin Bubba gets a couple keepers every time he goes out, sometimes two or three times a day. (wink wink) You guys just don’t know how to fish."

2) "OK, maybe there is a problem, but don’t blame the fishermen - it's bein’ caused by fertilizer runoff, 200-year-old dams, cold winters, warm winters, hurricanes, drought, rain, high salinity levels, low salinity levels, seals, cormorants, piping plovers, daily limits, size limits, tree-huggin’ liberals, rap music, and everybody else but me.”

3) “Awright, awright, there ain’t any bunker left, but if we shut down the fishery, 250 people in Reedville, Virginia are gonna lose their jobs. We gotta think about the economic impact.” (no mention is ever made of the thousands of folks who depend on a healthy fishery for their livelihood, including our host here)

4) “It’s all those damn regulations. If the guvmint would just stay out of peoples’ lives, everything would work out just fine. Hell, when there wasn’t no limits, we used to bring home 100 fish a week apiece, and since they stuck us with all these friggin’ limits, there ain’t no fish around at all. Regulations is what’s killin’ the fishin’.”

5) “The fishin’ around here ain’t worth a $hit any more, so I got myself a trailer down in Florida. See you suckers in the next life.”

Like I said, don’t get me started. One of these days, I’m gonna tell you what I REALLY think.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
way to go peter jay........well writen............thanks for the post
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
Want to know where the striped bass are? Eat less bacon. No more ham.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=13479

Between that, the shitty regulations that allow the slaughter of thousands of bass each winter down south "because they can", the micromanaging of the bait situation which has also crashed, The excessive limits allowed in some states, lack of Gamefish status........

Stripers are F u C K e d

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
BTW that was originally written up in Rolling Stone magazine.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:29:51 AM »
Yeah, those North Carolina pig farms have to be seen to be believed. North Carolina is one of the most corrupt states in the union in my book. Down there, they call it "business friendly," but it's really a case of selling out to moneyed interests. Big moneyed interests. I still think there's time to save the striped bass, but somebody has to start believing that the problem exists. The trouble is, the exploiters are extremely well organized and bankrolled, and we're not. That's it in a nutshell. The economic power of commercial fishing is a pisshole in the snow compared to the recreational fishing business, but the commercial crowd knows how to get things done, and we're too busy fighting among ourselves.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
Disgusting

Beverly Perdue is a rancid piece of sh it for allowing this to continue.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
What really kills me is that South Carolina takes its recreational fishery seriously, and North Carolina bends right over the barrel for a few exploiters. I swear I'll never spend another dime in NC. Fishermen should boycott the place.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
RI number

Estimate Status Year Common Name Total Catch (A+B1+B2) PSE
FINAL 2006 STRIPED BASS 910,764 14.8
FINAL 2007 STRIPED BASS 779,252 13.2
FINAL 2008 STRIPED BASS 467,564 30.4
FINAL 2009 STRIPED BASS 470,113 25.7
FINAL 2010 STRIPED BASS 253,220 18.5
PRELIMINARY 2011 STRIPED BASS 157,807 22.0

NH numbers

FINAL 2006 STRIPED BASS 474,136 14.6
FINAL 2007 STRIPED BASS 263,720 22.4
FINAL 2008 STRIPED BASS 82,545 18.2
FINAL 2009 STRIPED BASS 66,030 19.7
FINAL 2010 STRIPED BASS 57,781 31.0
PRELIMINARY 2011 STRIPED BASS 126,126 31.2

Maine numbers

FINAL 2006 STRIPED BASS 4,075,656 20.7
FINAL 2007 STRIPED BASS 1,168,763 19.7
FINAL 2008 STRIPED BASS 524,155 24.4
FINAL 2009 STRIPED BASS 325,665 17.5
FINAL 2010 STRIPED BASS 211,138 16.7
PRELIMINARY 2011 STRIPED BASS 142,607 26.6

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »
In other words, the Maine catch is about 4% of what it was five years ago. I was talking to Mark Lewchik a couple of weeks ago - Mark's one of the best fly tyers in the world, and a terrific fisherman. He regularly catches well over 1,000 fish per year. In 2011, he got eight. And he has a beach house and fishes virtually every day. Everybody I know gave it up as a lost cause and packed it in early last fall. I haven't seen a blitz or a school of bunker in at least two years, maybe three.  What kills me is that there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency. Couple more years, and the "fisheries management" types will be looking for somebody to blame. I'm glad to be getting the hell out of here.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »
LOL you havent seen the Chesapeake landing yet.

1 fish in 2011 :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »
LOL you havent seen the Chesapeake landing yet.

1 fish in 2011 :)

Things down there are as bleak as they are up here as far as bass go, but they have trout, drum, cobia, and other species to fall back on. We've got jack around here, unless you count sea robins and skates. There are still plenty of albacore, but the lack of bait is keeping them from blitzing the shore the way they used to. What I really don't get is that most of the mid-Atlantic/southern states (except of course NC) do a great job of managing reds, but when it comes to bass, it's a free-for-all. IMO, the feds should have seized control of the striper/menhaden fishery the same way they did waterfowl. What good does it do for one state to institute sane policies when the others allow wholesale slaughter? Ducks and geese were just about wiped out when they banned market hunting and instituted a recovery program. They could have done the same for bass and menhaden, but they're all in the pocket of Omega Protein and the other commercial interests. Anyway, thanks for posting the numbers - I've passed them along to everybody I know.

Jimmy Durante

Raven

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:29:47 AM »
plus fish farming stripers is easier and more profitable than raising hogs
best place to do it .....  north carolina....   go figure....
 :dance:
the sea covers 3/4s of the earth and we don't hardly farm it - we just harvest harvest harvest
no wonder theres problems