Author Topic: Tip for Maine stripers  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Tip for Maine stripers
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
Hey fellas,

Ok so we all know there has been a surge in the green crab population here in Maine and the stripers are
 taking full Advantage of this food source! Big time, as most the fly guys know a "Buffy" or and green crab pattern
is messing the fish up, and most plug or lure fisherman are going without or 1 fish to ten of the flyroders wich I do
both of by the way :)

So here ya go take a peice of Fluorocarbon or mono I have been using 25lb test tie a double surgeons loop
on one end move down the line about a foot and tie a drop loop of wich you attach a 1 to 2oz. Bank sinker
drop back about 30" or so and tie on a crab pattern, make sure your crab fly rides hook point up! now your
ready to fish, cast out on the flats or on the edges of rock piles and Retrieve it SLOW! Pausing often
Imagine in your mind a green crab making its way slowly across the bottom pausing to feed and forage or hide,
the strikes are very suttle at times, may take some getting used to, but well worth the effort! Best of luck!

Also I should ad this is a very Effective way to fish a sandeel pattern, Just lift the rod tip periodically on the retrieve
to represent an emerging Sandeel

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Tip for Maine stripers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
Hey Scott, can you make us guys up here a crab plug? Lol! PLEASE!!!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »
Well??? Can you? I'd be interested to. Got a few guys in CT that are interested also.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
There are no fish in maine.

Disappointed to see a local guide up there advertising less than stellar catches in the last few years. Not wanting to raise anyones expectations I can understand but why advertise yourself like that. To go out and say you will only catch 2-3 fish in a whole day and all 24-30" doesn't advertise your fishery very well. There's more than one fish in a school. If you can't more than one maybe you should bone up on your fishing skills or suggest your sport may want to pick another time.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:28:41 AM »
yea thats what i cant figure out  ya remember   j. Antworth saying the same thing that the bass has long gone from MA. but yet herringchoker showed me some nice pics of some bass he caught up there...........
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
Lol  that's right Scott keep telling people that, less competition for me, ......shhhhh! Handy don't tell anyone that lol!
Although it is true every sense governor augus king, let the Russian factory ships here to process pogies, and every net boat
From here to kingdom come was up here catching them,and all but wiped/out the gulf of Maine menhaden (pogies) stocks
The fishing for bass and blues has gone down hill big time, defiantly not the fishery it once was

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »
That first picture looks like a sea urchin

If I tied a crab fly I would use packed deer hair and use rubber for the legs, color the legs with black sharpie. Maybe use some colored feathers for claws.

I've done a few crab flies but haven't tied in a long time. I'll see if I can dig some of mine out and show you some of them.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
I've done a few crab flies but haven't tied in a long time. I'll see if I can dig some of mine out and show you some of them.

Yeah, if there's one thing you've got to spare, it's crabs. I shudder to think of where you'll be digging them out from. There are some things the world isn't ready to see.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
Hey that what happens when you spend 3 nights in Biddeford, the crabs down there are big enough to use for
Totaug bait! And that's cuttin' them in half!  :P

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »
No fish in Maine lol!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
Nope no fish in Maine.

Move on nothing to see here

Cept maybe some of Rich's fishcakes tomorrow :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
Lol you got that right

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Striped Bass Stocks 2012

I agree with this guy 100%. It's exactly what I've been seeing the past five years or so. I can always find fish in RI, just like you do in Maine, but I know where to look for bait concentrations. The big schools of 10-20 pound bass we used to get on the RI beaches just don't exist any more. The "as many fish as ever" or "the fish are holding offshore" stuff is just what we were hearing in the 70s before the bottom fell out. .
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
He is right on point for sure! The fish are getting hit on all sides, not even talking about the overfishing for them
But the bait here hasn't come back, I am on the water almost everyday, a last year didn't see not one school of
Pogies, this year two small schools of fish, and I mean small, before the Russian factory ships came, and ever net boat
On the friggin east cost, there were Hundreds of thousands of fish that we would see, hell the blues used to drive
Them in coves and the pogies would run out of Oxygen and we would fill dumpsters with them for lobster bait, not
Any more, I read a report about the Gulf of Maine pogies Stocks, the report stated that they were not over fished,
I say bull!  I guess what i am saying with all the pressure stripe bass are under already,and then out fish a food
Source, It's not good that's for sure!