Author Topic: Hook Size and Placement  (Read 9122 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Hook Size and Placement
« on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Hey Guys, so I turned my first wooden lures this past weekend, and so far so good.  I bought a fairly inexpensive wood lathe and was able, I think, to turn out some pretty good wooden bodies.  If I'm not out fishing this weekend I may do some more work on them, but the forecast around here is good for the weekend, once this rain gets out of here, so chances are I'll probably be out fishing.  Anyway, everyone has been so helpful so far, and I had a few more wooden plug building questions.

Regardng hooks, size, placement and number of hooks.....is there a general guideline to use?  The plugs I'm making are in the 6 to 7" length and 2 to 3 oz weight range...I assume you always put on a tail hook (treble), but what about belly hooks/trebles?  I see that some guys use only one belly hook and some use two...is it just personal preference or are two more effective than one?

Also, it seems like I'm gonna need something to rotate the finshed lures on so that the epoxy clearcoat stays uniform as it dries...anyone have any simple/cheap homegrown solutions to turn your lures?

Thanks....I'll post some pics of my finshed lures when I egt to that point, but it may be a while.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Hook Size and Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
well richiep  i like to use single tail hooks VMC# 9171ps siwash saltwater hooks  from 4/0-5/0  and for belly hooks i use VMC 9626ps 4x strong saltwater treb   from 1/0 -2/0  im not to crazy about double belly hooks and rarely do i fish big plugs my plugs range in lenth anywhere from 4"-5.0" and 1.5oz  although ill use double hooks in a danny plug but thats gona change.....your  plug are much larger and you could prolly get away useing 3/0............my plugs hooks measure out as follows:      5" pencil 2 3/8 belly hook spacing
                          5.25 popper 3"  "       "       "
                          4.75 surfster 2"  "      "       "
                          5" danny boy 1.25"  &  3.25"  two belly hooks
all measurement are from the nose of the plug back
next time i lathe out a  5" danny ill use 1 belly hook and divide the plug in half and install a 2/0 belly in that spot.....just keep in mind your plugs shoud sit level do a test with one of your plugs     salty is better at this question than i
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
Hook Size...

I use THE RULE OF THUMB...least that's what I call it. Belly hook...lay a hook on it's side and see how it "fits the plug" especially with a swivel etc on it. You want the hook to marry the size of the body. This will give you your best CAST with a belly hook. Then use the SALTYS RULE OF THUMB. With the hook setup on the bottom grab it in your palm with your thumb into the hook. If you can curl your hand around the plug and have it clear your thumb then you got a nice sized hook. Remember that Stripers will most typically be hooked on the front hook. Not always but mostly. You can then use just a bucktail stub or feather teaser on the back of a swimmer for instance.

Tail hooks.....once again set it on the back of the plug in where it's going to be rigged. See how it marries the rear of the plug. Sometimes a split ring is needed. Try not to though if you can, I find tail split rings can cause you to miss hooksets. Anyway marry the hook to the back and make sure it doesn't foul. Keep your belly hook far enough forward that it doesn't marry the tail hook if at all possible.

I got my 1.25 oz bigmouth poppers on the site that is one of my favorite lures. It absolutely SLAYS fish. But the damn belly hook marries the damn line at times. It's always been a problem with this plug. It's unweighted..light tackle...it uses the tail hook for castability and the belly hook is a big keel. It digs enough that it has an erratic action and fish love them things. Been a big fish plug for me for years. Unweighted...

Weight your plugs to match what your going to throw them with..your rod and line weighting..Don't make a 3 oz lure on a noodle rod and 12lb test.

Multiple belly hooks SUCK. They will kill a fish. I guarantee it. Single belly hook...large if possible..multi belly hooks only if you have a stub on the back. Be nice to our fish...Old time bassmen will tell you SINGLE BELLY hook.

Flip your lures end to end with 30 minute epoxy or use etx thinned down in a very light coat drawn over the lure. Don't gob epoxy on..then you won't have to flip them as much.

I got some stuff last week that is single dip clear HARD AS A ROCK 1/8" thickness DRIED. Mixed polymer solution done by my paint consultant's lab. I'm playing with this right now. I would love to sell this stuff at some point. It's literally liquid plastic.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
ok richiep i have a cheap little rod drying motor set up  its called the GATLIN101 plug spinner simple cheap ill post some pics the motor can be found at rod building supplies  mudhole janns netcraft....ill post a pic of the GATLIN    turns single plugs or a group of four.....you can position a small lamp above the GATLIN to supply mim heat to the plugs hope this helps just keepin it simple

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
custom GATLIN single plug turner
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
GATLIN 4 plug spinner

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
motor around $10.00

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
Nice stuff Handy. This is how I epoxy mine. I hang them on a brazing rod to paint and then here for epoxy.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
way to shrub......i see you did the upgrade version.........instead of pine  you used A or better cedar t&g.........nice :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
remnants of an old project. in the spinner in the pic is my next one. still in primer. might be fluorescent pink when its done. maybe some blue on it too.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
salty has a nice spook that would fit that spinner nicely

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
These first. They are sealed and dry. Still need prime paint epoxy and fit out. Fish. Order next batch. Repeat process. I will never get the entire collection if Salty keeps adding stuff. ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
hay!!!! when are you gona finish that room......i see ya got a little farther  its insullated ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
 My next batch of kits I was going to try epoxy or Flex Coat finish. Have been using clear spray cans.
I see you guys use a 33rpm spinning motor. I was going to use the motor on my Weber grill I think it's 8 or 12rpm. Is that too slow?
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
na you should be fine tom  just that youll have to rig it up..............instead of useing your grill motor just barrow your neighbors......they wont miss it theyll just blame the kid down the block for steeling it........the only reason i use that motor is that i also build rods and thats my drying motor...so i rigged it up to spinn plugs......motor cost around 10.00 bucks and its a workhorce............good luck