Author Topic: AIR BRUSHES  (Read 16187 times)

seaviewer

Re: AIR BRUSHES
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »
njfish, can you post a pic of that spinner?

njfish

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
njfish, can you post a pic of that spinner?

Well if you need to see the design here are a few pics.  This one is not mine but almost identical.  The big difference is that I sandwiched ridgid board insulation on the exterior of box.  Lights are to generate heat inside box as I like to get it around 90 but anything over 80 is good.  If you keep it around 90 you only need to spin for a few hours as Etex will be sticky enough not to sag.
 I actually have 2 of them one is a double whhel and one is a single.  i did the small single as I use it inside the house.  My next one will have pulleys to speed it up abit as the motors spin at 2.5 rpm and I want to spin at 5 to 7.5 rpm but 2.5 works fine( I should just leave well enough alone but I never learn)

njfish

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
oops one more pic

Keeping the spinner box warm does 2 things
1.  Speeds up the setup of etex
2. Maybe most important is that when the etex and air is warm it also the etex to completely level out and leave a almost perfect finish.

When using etex if you have any bubbles I use a micro torch and clear out the bubbles in mixing tray as CO2 breaks down the bubbles(has to be CO2).  If I get any bubbles on plug (almost never I clear them out in tray) then use micro torch and pass it buy the plug.  I hold hand next to it to test heat as you dont want it to hot and also don't let flame touch plug.  I mix my Etex in the plastice tray that electrical tape comes in(almost like a pitre dish) and apply with acid brush.  I also like to warm my plugs first and make sure that Etex is not cold.  After you get good you can do about 3 to 8 plugs before you need to mix more Etex as it starts to set up.  If Etex is too warm then it will set up super quick.  For your first try I would mix about enough Etex to do about 2 or 3 plugs, then adjust it from there on others

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
say nj NICE great idea..............i see you can kill two birds with 1 stone........i see the top turning rod with the eyelets is for the plugs..........and the bottom turning rod without the eylets is for the oven stuffer roaster  ;D ;D ;D

good job!
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
I agree, good job. Box, bulbs and hangers. Thanks for posting your Pics.
nj those motors look familiar, are they off of a grill rotisserie? If not please advise. 
 Assuming they are grill motors, did you use the 5/16 square rods? I saw on line that you can get 5/16 .  round stops with set screws that could possibly be used for bearings ??

Saw a gal fly tier using same for turning epoxy heads. Pulled mine off today ...
 Bought 5 of Salty's kits at the Philly show. Nice to meet Scott.
Now I'm in the process of getting my sh**t together... What sealer to start with, paint, hand tools etc.
Checked all the local "Home Stores" for small bolt cutters ($40) and round nose pliers, No go.
 Stopped at the local Ace hardware on the way home, picked up a pair of 8" bolt cutters for $12.
Tried them out, nice close, clean cut. Easy on the hand. Would go with the Nipex if I were doing production work like Scott. Will be ordering the round nose. I actually enjoy the hunt... Spending money!

Thanks,
             Tom C.

Tom C

njfish

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
I have used rod and also threaded rod.  Another one I made used the square rod.  I had a ton of thread rod so it works well the other/others I'm making.  All I had to do was grind the end of the rod abit.  I like the threaded stuff as I can use nuts and fender washers to hold the ends in place.  for hanging the plugs I use wire, eye hooks and (I forget the name) hooks on each end with long coupling nut in middle-used to pull wire tight.  I had also rigged up a small one that actually used the chicken holders and strung plugs between them.  I had mounted the motor and other end holder on a long board- I had used this one till I had the other box setups done.

The one I'm making now will have belts and pullys to speed up abit but will also have a removable carriage(where plugs are held) so I can epoxy then just drop into box to spin-I got the concept(idea) fron the Ronco set and forget cooker-I'm sure I wont have finished in a while as I have many other things on my plate

njfish

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
The box in pictures-I'm pretty sure uses round rod and bearings are not needed.

njfish

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
This is a picture of my old homemade lathe duplicator but I had to make new one as I put the old one on my bumper and drove away
Actually sorry this is a picture of the new one I'm making to replace the old one.  The piece sticking out is a carbide tipped lathe bit, the old one had a carbide insert and holder.  This one still does not have the handles and quide installed on it yet

This was the old one I lost on the side of the road-effing pissed off

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
say nj........i thought that was an anvil................say did u ever think about building a cnc machine.........the black tooth cnc.........seems u got talant.........i like the dryer for your plugs.......top rotisserie is for your plugs.........and the bottom is for the oven stuffer roster

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
say nj........i thought that was an anvil................say did u ever think about building a cnc machine.........the black tooth cnc.........seems u got talant.........i like the dryer for your plugs.......top rotisserie is for your plugs.........and the bottom is for the oven stuffer roster

lol

njfish

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »

I have actually looked at some of the homemade CNCs.  I need to find the info on building one.  The ones I saw seemed to work well, there are several videos on youtube.  I had built a duplicator using a router with xy axis but the bits I tried sucked.  During the summer I will rebuild router dupe using an endmill as this will cut much better.  I looked at the Vega w/ router attachment but they are big bucks

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »
I'm impressed with you guys who can build your own cnc machine.
I would have problems operating one, never mind building one.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Yes, There's a lot of talent here at this site.
nj, 3/8" all thread, had been using it for years, HVAC/Plumbing. Out of touch... ???
Thanks for the "Wake Up!"

Tom C.
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
say nj........yea i saw the videos on u tube on the cnc's.....black tooth comes as a kit 4x4 or 4x8    u tube has the complete assy instructions

i have the vaga duplicator for my lathe and it works great

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
say numbnuts the machanics is easy and installing the steppers solidering the drivers is ok to........but hooking it all to the computor im lost.......ive been looking around......i cant afford it now........but ive seen this kit called black tooth cnc.....check it out...........but some day ill build it......its just risky  to spend that kinda money.......and get frustrated  jerking around with the soft ware........im stupid when it comes to that :)