Author Topic: Are the striper stocks in trouble?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Are the striper stocks in trouble?
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
Let's hear it. Do you think the striper stocks are in trouble? Do you think it's going to crash or has crashed?

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: Are the striper stocks in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:18:04 AM »
we're doomed. your plugs are too sweet for them to resist.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »
Jimmy I'm being serious. I'm really curious to hear what you guys have for thoughts on the current state of the fishery.

But I love you too  :-* :-*

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
Great question Scott.  Something HAS changed.  I noted a dramatic drop in the fall fishing a MV.  15, up to 6 years ago, we would bang stripers (shorts, keepers) all over the place on foot.  For the past 5 years, hardly any stripers on foot. It got so bad my crew stopped going last year, and this was the first year I didn't go up in the fall.

I'd say the stock is in trouble from what I hear (less fish in numbers, smaller fish).  The reason for that can very greatly (less bait due to netting, pollution, over fished).  who knows...

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:57:11 AM »
i honestly think they are on the decline. how's that for a serious answer

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:17:10 AM »
guys - why don't they slot stripers, say 26"-30"  anything other then 26 to 30 inches, you have to throw back?  Don't you think that would help increase the breeding poplulation of the fish?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:44 AM »
1 at 36 would do more?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
Eliminate the nets.

Fix the bait problem.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
Eliminate the nets.

Fix the bait problem.

Amen to that. IMO, the first logical step is to eliminate the striped bass commercial fishery. Not regulate it, eliminate it. There's absolutely no way it can be policed the way things stand. I see "wild caught" bass for sale all the time that aren't legal anywhere, including Virginia and Maryland. From an economic standpoint, it makes sense. The dollars generated by the commercial fishery don't amount to a pisshole in the snow compared to the economic benefits of a healthy recreational fishery. The only reason there's still a commercial bass fishery is that a few well-organized individuals wield far more clout than their numbers entitle them to. On the other hand, the sportfishing lobby, which could be a real force, is so fragmented that you can't even get them all to agree on what day of the week it is. Fact: the commercial fishing industry has either destroyed or greatly reduced the population of every single species it's targeted. You can take that to the bank. They've already hammered the living hell out the inshore cod, the whiting, the pollock, you name it. If there's one striped bass left alive out there, they'll be arguing over who gets to sell it. Enough is enough. Get an education and find a real job like the rest of us.

Yeah, fix the bait. When the bass population crashed the last time, we were still catching a lot of blues, which took up some of the slack. That's not gonna happen again, for the simple reason that the forage biomass has been greatly reduced. Bunker boats and herring boats are hauling every ounce of protein they can get away with taking. If they could get away with taking it all, they would. It's not gonna help to increase striped bass numbers if they're gonna go hungry.

I don't know what the best solution is as regards a reasonable daily limit. One fish over 36" or a slot limit with provisions for ONE trophy fish would probably work. The only problem with the one-fish limit is that a lot of culling goes on - I've even heard guys bragging about it. Maybe one keeper and you're done for the day. Period.

The original question was whether or not the striper population is in decline. I've been at this since I was big enough to handle a surf rod, and from where I stand, we're fishing for remnants of what the bass fishery was 50 years ago. The average size fish today is a joke compared to what it was. When I tell people that an 18-pound bass used to be considered a schoolie, they look at me like I'm speaking Gaelic. And that's not a case of nostalgia - I don't think like that. It's just an objective observation. I used to keep records, but unfortunately, I've lost track of them over the years. It's probably just as well, because nobody would believe me anyway.

Just my $0.02 worth, but you asked.

"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
[
The original question was whether or not the striper population is in decline. I've been at this since I was big enough to handle a surf rod, and from where I stand, we're fishing for remnants of what the bass fishery was 50 years ago. The average size fish today is a joke compared to what it was. When I tell people that an 18-pound bass used to be considered a schoolie, they look at me like I'm speaking Gaelic. And that's not a case of nostalgia - I don't think like that. It's just an objective observation. I used to keep records, but unfortunately, I've lost track of them over the years. It's probably just as well, because nobody would believe me anyway.

Just my $0.02 worth, but you asked.

you are not alone.. discussed this today with a few guys I ran into at a convenience store today..
all with similar history...and conclusions.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
I remember when we used to speak of a 30 it was pounds and not inches.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
I started three times to post but decided to hold off and let the emotions settle down. This is a touchy one for me. I'm all for reducing the commercial quota significantly. I also think we need to take other actions like restrict pre-season catch and release (even if they use barbless hooks). I also think we need to take other actions such as limiting coastal development. The creek I live on (in the Chesapeake Bay) could use a rest...

Lots of other options. However, everyone needs to tighten the belt...not just one side.

By the by, fall fishing is bad down south here...tough to find legal fish..

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »
Forgot one thing...YOY (Young of the year) index in Maryland was 5.6 in 2010 (down from a norm of 11.6) and yet they do nothing becasue they say it still is at acceptable limits...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
I hope this isn't news to anyone!  In Maine, the fishing's been getting progressively worse since at least 2007.  Based on the most recent numbers I've seen, landings in Maine this year are down to less then 10% of what they were at the peak.  As I understand it, the decline is a combination of too many fish killed by commercial and recreational fishermen, overfishing of menhaden and other bait species, water quality and bacteria issues in Chesapeake Bay, striper bycatch by midwater trawlers and others, bad spawning years recently, and probably some other problems.

The scariest thing to me is that even with all this, the current science says that the fishery is not overfished and overfishing is not occurring.  At this rate, by the time ASMFC gets it's act together to do something about it, what is now a decline will have become a total crash like in the early 80's. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »
well bbboats.....my spring run was poor and my fall run aint no better.....i catch and release all my fish......and i hear you on some of the boats that go out just look at the advertisements.....they put the bass on hooks to show the catches and to promote  on how well there boats do.......but thats there lively hood so i guess i shouldnt complain.....anyway good to have u aboard the forum :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent