Author Topic: Sealing your lures  (Read 17226 times)

njfish

Re: Sealing your lures
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
oh well......generaly  after my plug is all drilled out..i submerge it in sanding sealer[zinsser bulls eye sealcoat] generaly ill wait till the bubbles stop comming out of the plugs......a good rule of thumb for the timing is to knock back 3 or 4 beers....thats plenty of time....by then the plug have absorbed the seal coat...just hang to dry  wipe any drips off let the plugs dry over night...........and your ready for painting

I have used the Zinnser sanding sealer but as a pre primer coat, after 60/40 or tung oil seal coat.  I don't have can in front of me but is the sanding sealer waterproof?  If it is not water proof then to me it may not be the best sealer for water.

coyote

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »
Interlux Paint Co. makes a product called Clear Wood Sealer. Part No. is 1026.
We have been using it here at the Boat Yard for years. I think it would be great
as a first coat on any wood prior to priming ang painting

njfish

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Waterlox makes a decent product for sealing also but have not tried their finish, I'm not sure the finish is right for the application.  It is their marine line Waterlox Marine sealer I also know a few guys who seal with West Systems but said said the West is not the best on the finish though.  I like West for their epoxy adhesives as even their 5 min is waterproof

So far I have not seen or used a finish(topcoat) that I like better than Etex, Envirormental Tech also make a product called Ultra glo that rocks, it does have more odor than the Etex Lite though.  I do think the Ultra-Glo is the older product which is much more irratating than the Envirotex Lite.  It is also harder to find and must be applied in a well vented area

Offline Out Fishing

• mad scientist
Re: Sealing your lures --try a vaccuum pump!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
oh well......generaly  after my plug is all drilled out..i submerge it in sanding sealer[zinsser bulls eye sealcoat] generaly ill wait till the bubbles stop comming out of the plugs......a good rule of thumb for the timing is to knock back 3 or 4 beers....thats plenty of time....by then the plug have absorbed the seal coat...just hang to dry  wipe any drips off let the plugs dry over night...........and your ready for painting

You might also consider a small vacuum chamber --powered by either a hand pump or electric pump. It will pull all those bubbles out instantly and pull more air out than just submerging the plugs.

Regards, Mark

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
what is the absolute best sealing process for yellow birch? cost is not a factor, time is not a factor, process is not a factor. I have tried two different ways and still I'm getting cracking, expansion, and lifting with my plugs

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:06 AM »
Bunker I don't think there is an "absolute best", it's dependent on what you use for paint etc...what works for you. If your getting water intrusion then your not sealing long enough or with something that is compatible with your paint.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
say bunk wad up yo!!! heres what works for me WATERLUX MARINE wood sealer.....give them a good soaking and most and they must cure well...... drying is the other factor........i know you use urathains .......im not sure if you use epoxy finish ....like flex coat........that also seals your plugs and protects you paint................good luck..........and nice catch on the tuna
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent