Author Topic: Recommened Drill Press  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Recommened Drill Press
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
Gentleman, I am looking for a bench top drill press for drilling through my wood blanks. I will be making pencil poppers in the 7-9 inch range. My Delta Mini Lathe is to small for this operation and I ordered an extension bed but one I connected the extension bed it was off on the travel with the tail stock for some odd reason (bolts were in level and tight). The extension bed is the correct extension bed for the Delta, just wondering why I do not have a fluid travel because I would like to drill out the blanks this way. In other words, if I wasn't clear the extension bed where it is connected to the main frame of the Mini Lathe has a "lip" just enough to not allow the tail stock from traveling back and forth (I travel my tail stock back and forth to remove sawdust when drilling through). Any suggestions how I can fix this small detail discrepancy because if I can then I would save some money on buying another drill press (the one I have now is for hook holes and eyes (8 inch). Thank you and any information is well accepted and appreciated. C4
Slingin' eels should be an olympic sport!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Recommened Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
Gentleman? I dare you to find one here :)

loosen the extension and put the tail stock locked down at the joint then tighten. If it doesn't match after then return it.

Sears makes decent benchtop drill presses. Most are cheap...loose quills etc.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
Salty, thanks for the advice on the extension. The drill press, what size for drilling 7-9 inch pencil popper blanks?
Slingin' eels should be an olympic sport!

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »
 "gentlemen" someone call me?