Author Topic: Crackle Paint?  (Read 7404 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Crackle Paint?
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Anyone have a tutorial/methodology on how to create a crackle paint finish? I tried the search function and did not find anything.
-Thanks

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Crackle Paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »
Crackle paint is typically done by putting a glaze on first then painting with the color you want on top. The bottom layer dries slower so it causes the top layer to crack. You can buy the stuff in Lowes, HD, most hobby shops.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
What else works well is 2 types of non compatible spray paints sprayed over each other when wet, I've done a few this way and get some sick results.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
Yes can do that too. Johnny D hope all is well.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »
What else works well is 2 types of non compatible spray paints sprayed over each other when wet, I've done a few this way and get some sick results.

which two "non compatible spray paints" do you use specifically? Could you post some pics of the results?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
ie Krylon misted over Painters Touch. A lacquer over an enamel paint.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
ie Krylon misted over Painters Touch. A lacquer over an enamel paint.

How wet should the enamel layer be when I mist the lacquer over it, whats the timing on this?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »
Wet on wet.

Also something I didn't think of before, there are two other ways to get crackle effects.

Home Depot and Lowes will sell a water based glaze that you paint a base color down then paint the glaze on then paint the top color on. The glaze causes it to crackle. And I believe I've seen other companies that sell a solvent based crackle medium too.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
My first attempt on an old plug I had laying around. I messed up by going too heavy with the top coat, but it came out kinda cool anyway. The pics dont do it justice, but it changes color in different lighting. Looks like if you mixed blurple with space  ;D

Im giving it to my pops for christmas, hopefully the cows like it next season

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
cool looking plug,  for your next one, try gloss over a fluorescent, when I get home I'll post up some I've done and gotten some sick results.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
one other thing I noticed, why the swivel on the line tie?  if you clipped direct, you could tune the plug by bending the eye up or down.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
one other thing I noticed, why the swivel on the line tie?  if you clipped direct, you could tune the plug by bending the eye up or down.

Thanks, im not sure about the origin of the swivel. I found this plug laying around my basement in bad shape, so I decided to play around with it.