Author Topic: Epoxy Problems  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Epoxy Problems
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Hello,

I am using DEVCON 30 minute 2 ton epoxy to coat some lures and it says I have 30 minutes to work. After I mix the epoxy (as per the instructions) within 10 minutes of trying to apply the epoxy, it became stringy and gummy. I tried it again and the same thing happened. It ruined two lures :( Does anyone know what the problem might be? It always seems to set up too fast.

Thanks,

-Tom

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Epoxy Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Spread it out first. Make a wide tray out of aluminum foil. It will set up faster if it's in a mixing cup. All epoxies cure by exothermic heat reaction. Keep the heat down and it won't cure so fast. You shouldn't be mixing more than you can do in 10 minutes or less...it's 30 minute cure. Your pot life is much much less.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
Do you have a trick for saving your paint brush?  I paint on the epoxy with a paint brush but then it is done.  Is there any way to get more than one use out of a brush?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
Acetone will remove it as long as it's not cured.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
vinegar cleans epoxy of the brush fine,

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
perfect thanks

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
late post I know but I clean my epoxy brushes in denatured alcohol, once they are apparently clear of epoxy I wash them with dawn and warm water. I have been doing this for years with no problems. About your ruined plugs just wet sand them down so they are smooth. You do not need to remove all the old epoxy just get the surface even toned and apply some fresh epoxy. You might want to try Z-poxy brand 30 minute epoxy it lasts a good 20 minute before it becomes unworkable. Hope this helps!

Dean

Offline Out Fishing

• I have a fishing equip. addiction please help
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
another thought is to delay the exothermic reaction by useing an ice bath just stick your epoxy inside a pot of crushed ice and water works well o. these hot days
"feel the bite"