Author Topic: Darter Kit Nose Wire (First kit)  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Darter Kit Nose Wire (First kit)
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
I know the kit should be easier than I'm making it.  I searched for help but can not figure out where the thick washer goes in the kit.  The instructions refer to the tag end resting against washer.  It is supposed to be used inside the loop at the end?  I'm good with epoxy and know the nose loop needs to be set it.  I assume the washer keeps the loop from cracking hardened epoxy when the tail loop is tightened.  The custom swivel goes in front with flat side facing the nose of the lip.  Do I also have to alter swivel to fit it through the belly grommet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Darter Kit Nose Wire (First kit)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »
There are pictorials for each kit on this page:  http://www.saltys.co/kitinstructionspage.htm

The 3 oz dahtah is on this page: http://www.saltys.co/kitinstructions/saltyskitinstructions30darter.jpg

Put the wire in the front of the lure. Orient the swivel with the attached washer in the belly hole as shown in the pictorial. The washer only lets the main wire go to the back of the lure. The tag end of the wire hits the washer. You can trim the length of the tag end very carefully to put the nose loop in the right position. Don't go too far though or your tag end won't butt against the washer inside and the nose loop will be sucked back too far in the front of the lure.

Is that a better explanation?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
And don't forget to install the rear swivel as you insert the wire. Been there done that.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
So it should look like this in the front hole

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
And thank you so much for such a fast reply.  I did look at the pictures but didn't see that washer, just the customized swivel for the front.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »
Crap is that the tail grommet spacer . . . .?  If it is you can smack my knee caps with a ball peen hammer.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:06 AM »
Your picture is too small to see what that is. All the pictures or diagrams you need are on the pictorial. We've sold thousands of these already and it's goof proof. I suggest spending some time looking at the pictorial and test fit the pieces. I spent alot of time on this so there wasn't questions. It's a foolproof way of lining everything up. Looks to me like your adding pieces together that shouldn't be...

The only reason the washer on the swivel is oriented one particular way is to keep the swivel centered in the hole.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:55 AM »
K I S S

Don't make it harder than it needs to be :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
I agree its a great kit, I've order a bunch of them and bodies.  Your buck tails are great too.  Very impressed with quality of the wood, components, and instructions.  Its clearly user error. It should be fool proof, just didn't want to ruin it after all the prep work: sanding, sealing, primer, base coat(s), scales, epoxy clear coats.  The part in question was/is the a tail grommet spacer.  I've never used/seen them before. My fault. Love the site Merry X-mas.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
The grommet spacer is there to keep the tail grommet tight in the rear of the lure, otherwise it would move more side to side in the thru wire hole.

You should be putting the wire in before you seal and paint etc. This way you get a nice finished top of the lure...

Spend a few minutes test fitting this before you go any further. You'll end up with a better understanding of how it goes together :)