Author Topic: Applying Sanding sealer  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Applying Sanding sealer
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »
Hi guys I decided I want to try sealing my next batch of plugs with Zinsser Bullseye sealcoat. Is it as simple as dipping for a few minutes and then hanging them to dry? Or should I be wiping them down with a rag or doing something else?

Thanks

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: Applying Sanding sealer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
Have you ever tried the linseed oil route?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
Have you ever tried the linseed oil route?

Not yet. I'm still just starting out. The linseed oil route looks pretty good too. I like the faster dry time of the zinsser and from what little info I could gather the zinsser sealcoat does a decent job

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:10 AM »
Dip so that it gets inside also then wipe with a brush or use a lint free cloth...just dispose of cloth stuff properly...

Watch the lures so they don't get boogers on the bottom where it all runs to.

Don't recommend linseed oil it's not the best. Go tung if you want to use a drying oil. Zinnser is shellac...works pretty well keeping water out.

Imagine how many millions of lac bugs they got to catch to make a zillion gallons of shellac.

imagine the stink

peee u
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:30 AM »
hey mikeS51.....also a good product is waterlux marine exterrior wood sealer check it out on line.... kinda pricie but well work the money....and 1 thing to remember when plug building drying time is a must dont rush anything......all the steps must be dry.....good luck with your plug 
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Thanks everyone

Mailman brought be a package full o' fun from Salty this morning. Dipped a few in and hung them up to dry. Had a few micro bumps at the tail ends that I wiped with a brush. The back of the can says ready to recoat in 20-40 minutes but I'm going to play it safe and wait at least a day or so to prime it

Poor lac bugs never had a chance  :D

wileyj59

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
Has anyone tried a lacquer based vinyl sealer? Used to seal and control moisture content in many critical applications such as guitar building and wooden boats.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
works fine just have to watch what you put over it. Some paints are not compatible.

WileyJ your email in your profile is sending bounce messages, I sent a test email to your account with a change, hopefully you get this. If it still bounces you will have to re-subscribe.
Tnx
Scott
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts