Author Topic: just starting  (Read 5668 times)

bustinblues

just starting
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
im just starting building some plugs in my shop class and at home i need some tips and pointers to help along the way of what to use how to paint and so on, pictures will be up as process goes along. thanks all

jack

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: just starting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
well jack before you make a major investment on tools....try a few kits first   building a surf plug in shop class should get you A+'S  i build plugs for a hobbie and here's some tools that i use
lathe, drillpress, chopsaw,bandsaw,oscollatingsander,combination belt/disc sander,iwata airbrush, autoair paints,devcon, twopart epoxt, waterlox marine wood sealer, a spinner to turn the completed plugs, drill bits, salty has  real sharp drill bits [ a must have].......but if you have any questions    the guys here are more than willing to help you out........welcome aboard and good luck :)   
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
say jack one more important thing  SAFTY :)

bustinblues

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
I have all the stuff in shop class and at home just need way to paint and tips along the way

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »
well jack before you make a major investment on tools....try a few kits first   building a surf plug in shop class should get you A+'S  i build plugs for a hobbie and here's some tools that i use
lathe, drillpress, chopsaw,bandsaw,oscollatingsander,combination belt/disc sander,iwata airbrush, autoair paints,devcon, twopart epoxt, waterlox marine wood sealer, a spinner to turn the completed plugs, drill bits, salty has  real sharp drill bits [ a must have].......but if you have any questions    the guys here are more than willing to help you out........welcome aboard and good luck :)   

Handy - you're making my head hurt. That's why I make tins and leave the wood working to Salty.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
your funny peterj.......say post some pic of some new tins    and some flies hope you guys are gona be ok with the storm comming........shoot i should have checked out the surf cam  to see how the ocean doing

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »
say bustinblues.......after your plug is all lathed out and all your holes are drilled  you want to seal your plug good........zinsser  sealcoat  100% shellac or waterlox marine wood sealer oil based products.....submerge your plug and let it absorb the sealer   10min+....and dont rush let your plug dry well    over night 24hrs after sealing.  a good primer  i like rust-oleum painters touch primer......any good modeling paint in small cans work well if you dont have a airbrush...just make sure your  all your priming/painting is dry  before you do your two part epoxy  just remember if useing BLO you got to let it dry reel good......thats why i use zinsser/waterloxmarine sealers cause the dry quicker.......good luck :)

bustinblues

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
painting is next challenge!!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
I tried spray cans at first quite honestly some guys are amazing with them I am not one of them I bought an airbrush and practiced on some old dowels laying around my mistake in my eyes was buying a badger airbrush as far as I was concerned it sucked i then bought an iwata eclipse and what a difference between the 2 airbrushes I'm no custom painter but they are looking much better now then comes the epoxy thats another story.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
yea surfstix Iwata Eclipse    just keep er clean   why just the other day i  rebuilt the front end on mine  sprays just like out of the box.....yea i had badger.....numbnuts turned me onto  the eclipse......well heres what i use for the epoxy coating.....FLEX COAT rod finish or DEVCON 30min epoxy    flex coat must be mixed in equal parts no guessing useing syringes to measure equals......and mix well 3min add some fine glitter to the mix  coat your plugs and i like to spin my plugs on a rod dryer flex coat takes longer to set  aprox 4hrs......where DEVCON 30min epoxy takes shorter  i still leave it spin.......keep in mind im not to sure about devcon  yellowing where as flexcaot is uv protected......the more you spray with your gun the better youll get     good luck to you and to bustinballs   i mean bustinblues :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
I've used the devcon 30 min and etex the etex can be a little bit of a pain in the ass but I think I have it figured out now.The Iwata eclipse is a good airbrush like you said keep that nozzle clean especially with white paint the tip dries quickly I usually keep the nozzle cap off to clean the tip when shooting white.I leave mine on the spinner for a couple hours also.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »
I use a Paasche, but the way everyone raves about the Iwata.... probably the way to go. The Flex Coat is great. Had a couple real good days with blue fish last summer and the plugs with flexcoat held up better than the ones with out.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.