Author Topic: casting eggs  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Out Fishing

casting eggs
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I have a couple casting eggs and have always put Sluggo's behind it, but want to try a fly or streamer. Would a treble tied with with some bucktail work? If I use a single hook what size should I start with? What type of single hook? Lotsa choices. I will try to mimic something the stripers will eat.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: casting eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
34007's size 3/0

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
mustad 34007 ss....or mustad s71sss size 3/0-4/0 2x heavey  tie up some teasers no need to use trebles those eggs should get you out there........plus when the albies are around they love small baits and flies work well with the egg
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
never tried a treble. if you do tell us how it works!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Hum... as far as tying some flies, I rarely fish with anything bigger then a 1/0 hook, especially if there are sand eels around (that are small).   You don't have to worry about straightening out the hook as long as you have your drag set properly. There are times when I'll use a bigger hook, but usually when I'm trying to tie a very big fly.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
Like Bruce said, the size of the fly is a factor - a big fly with a small hook will not swim properly and vice versa. I'd forget the trebles, they're entirely unnecessary. If you're after bluefish or tunas, barbless circles work better than anything else by far. All my bluefish/albie/bonito flies are tied on circles, and I wouldn't go back to J-hooks for love nor money. Everybody I know who's actually tried them feels the same way.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
interesting pj........i have some mustads c-71sss circle streamer 2xheavey in 3/0 ill give them a try this year :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
Handy - that's the exact same hook I use for albacore flies. I like the relatively long shank for epoxy minnows, deceivers, etc. Just pinch down the barbs and the hook pops right out for a quick release. Great for blues too - you don't have to stick anything in their mouth to get the hook out. I'm going to try them on bass this year during the sand eel event.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
yea pj thanks for the reminder................nice :)

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
its been so long since I hooked an albacore on a fly, I should use NO hook and I'd do just as good. 

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
Come on up in September, and give it a try. We've had a couple of miserable years in a row, we're overdue for a good one. The best anybody in my crowd did this year was six, and I didn't get any. In a good year, you don't even have to leave the parking lot. (I'm not gonna say where on a public forum, but I think you know)

Jimmy Durante