Author Topic: Help a Landlubber Out  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Help a Landlubber Out
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
So, my sister-in-law caught this fish on vacation down in Savannah, Georgia.  It's some kind of flounder.

Are there different species of this fish, such as a flounder and a fluke, or are the the same fish with different names?

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Help a Landlubber Out
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
All fluke (AKA summer flounder) are a species of flounder, but not all flounder are fluke. Unless there's a similar species down here I don't know about, that's a fluke. I caught one last week on a fly rod. Damn thing bit my finger while I was trying to get the hook out.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
That ain't a flounder it's a DOORMAT to wipe your feet on :)

Nice fish!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
I can just taste that baby rolled in seasoned flour and fried to a golden brown. Damn - I've gotta get out there and do some bottom-dredging.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
lol I haven't had dinner yet. stop :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
Or better yet rolled and stuffed with homemade sea food stuffing, Baked and topped with hollandaise sauce, that's how we do black backs, Or fried up in season flower for some awesome fish sandwiches:)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »
I'M IN

:D

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »
ah....lets not forget the rub herringchoker......the girls gone wild rub
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Flounder makes great English-style fish & chips. (battered fish) When I was a kid, fish & chip joints were all over the place in RI, and most of them were good. The batter recipes were closely guarded secrets, and the cooks wouldn't even share them with relatives. Nowadays, the crap they call fish & chips in most restaurants is nothing like the real thing. Frozen fries and breaded fish. Yechhh! A lot of those batter recipes are long gone I suppose. Back when I was young and poor, I did a lot of experimenting until I came up with a pretty good batter, but of course, I never wrote anything down and the recipe disappeared when 100 proof vodka wiped out half of my brain cells. Living in the Flounder Capital of the World and all, I should probably see if I can resurrect  the recipe. There are still a couple of months of good flounder fishing left before the water cools down.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
I have got one for ya peterj when I get back to the house I will get it to you :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
The one in the picture went back into the water, so someone down in Georgia still has a shot at catching dinner for Labor Day weekend.

Now you guys have made me hungry.

My brother was laughing that seafood had a fixed price on the menu and the steaks were listed as "market price"...which is just the opposite of what we see here in Nebraska.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks Rich - looking forward to trying it.

BF - I've never seen beef listed as market price in the East, although considering what it costs these days, I can understand it. Outside of the occasional pound of hamburger, I don't even look at beef any more. You don't often see lobster prices on menus here because of the cost swings, and occasionally other seafood. Used to be fish was the cheapest food around for us poor folks, but that was back before the stocks got hammered by the industrial fishing fleet. The way things are going, we'll all be eating horsemeat and sawdust before too long. Don't know what we'll do when that runs out. Horseshoe crabs and starlings, I guess.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
It used to be that the meat department would have a sale on their hand stuffed bratwursts, 10 for $5.00...saw the ad this week and they are on sale to kick off the football season, 10 for $10.00...

...only one more thing for which my income didn't rise at a comparable rate.

Anyhow, that fish was caught down in Georgia, so the touristy places might get away with "market price" on steaks. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
nice fish!