Author Topic: Fun trip today  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Fun trip today
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
Took a ride down to the Mystic Aquarium in Ct, then saw the Nautilus sub at the Mystic seabase up the road. Boy they got a real nice museum in there. Neat to go in a nuke sub. They don't let you in the engine room....bummer LOL

Aquarium was fun. Never seen so many Indian/Pakistani people as there. Why such a big attraction. Lots of Japanese also. Bird exhibit was cool. They put seed pods on wooden Popsicle sticks and the birds will climb down from the trees inside the tent. Pretty cool. I got crapped on of course LOL You had to be tall to get to the good birds so I was getting them on my sticks and passing off to the kids. That made a few days  ;D

Beluga whales are beautiful. Almost makes it a sin to have some of this stuff in captivity.

Recommended trip. Get there EARLY. The crowd later was nuts. Don't like crowds. Too many inconsiderate people out there.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Fun trip today
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
That's where I'm from - just over the RI line. I was a charter member of the aquarium, I think it opened in 1973. There was a tragic accident the day it opened over in Olde Mistick Village - a young child was killed. Terrible. The time to visit the aquarium is in the winter; there are school field trips to deal with, but nothing like the summer crowds. Yeah, it's tough to see the whales in captivity, but IMO, their educational value outweighs it. Besides the public displays, they do a tremendous amount of research there, it's quite a place. I went to Mitchell College, which is below the New London bridge and across the river from the base. You could see the subs come up the river from some of the classrooms, and back then, they had their numbers on the sail. I think the Nautilus was 571. I drove a cab in that area for years, it was a lot of fun and I met some great chicks, especially in Mystic.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante