Author Topic: Why I Love the Eastern Shore  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Why I Love the Eastern Shore
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
The flats are really cooking right now. This particular marsh is ten minutes from the house - it's about 3-4 square miles, and except for a few folks bottom fishing from the causeway, I've never seen another fisherman. Most of it is a foot or so deep at high tide and there's a 2 1/2 - 3 hour window when the fish are on it. I'd say there's a stalkable red in sight 75% of the time, and I'm being conservative. If this marsh were in Florida, there'd be 300 people out there every day. The only way I'm ever leaving this place is feet-first. It's a strange feeling, going out and knowing you're gonna find fish every day. Sadly, Rhode Island hasn't been like that in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPULtNpNUY
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Why I Love the Eastern Shore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Sorry about the oversized pic. This place resembles a hayfield when the tide's out, and it's near impossible to get in there with any kind of boat, even at high tide, which probably explains why nobody fishes it. There's good hard bottom though, and it's easy wading as long as you stay on the vegetation. Those little potholes around the spartina clumps are the first paces to flood, and I pulled two reds out of the one in the pic the other morning. The fish have been running 3-6 pounds, though I've seem some that are quite a bit bigger. They really put a bend in the 7wt. Just the place for a fly-flickin' heathen like myself.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
go ahead rub it in peter.........wow thats a nice place....like i said in another thread   id be south boundin down rather than hitting montauk  if you talked reds earlyer.........nice pics .....
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
i had to do a double take ........man nice water beautyful pics PJ........real nice

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
hey just watched the vid.........you need a pair of hip boots

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
Awesome stuff pj!!! Hope your a duck hunter too :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
Nah, the ducks are safe from me, I haven't hunted in 30 years. My psychiatrist had me sign an agreement to get rid of my guns - safer for all concerned. Besides, with my dogs, who needs guns?. 

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
Lol yeah had to give mine guns up too Voluntarily when I frist got back from the middle east years ago,hard to distinguish between Friend and foe, now I am back to hunting the four legged and winged critters, instead of two legged, hunting and fishing is something I have done my hole life, and really been a god sent, As you know from living in Maine it's a place hard to scratch a living up here In the conventional sense,the ability to self sustain and provide for my family Taking full advantage of the wild resources just outside our door has been invaluable ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Amen to that. Got a moose permit this year? I used to chase them out of the yard with a club, and I was never scared for a minute. Of course, there were 50 of us in the club.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
Lol pj, no moose permit this year, maybe next  ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
that was funny PJ

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
Ya know, we had a bull moose come by one night and eat all my day lilies in one sitting. (or standing?) Guess that didn't quite satisfy him, because he came back the next night and chewed the stumps right down to the ground. Destructive bastard he was. Another day, I was chasing one of my dogs up the street and I glanced out back, and there were these four long legs coming down from the branches of the apple tree next to the back door. I figured they had to be attached to something, and it turned out to be a big cow. Maybe Shaquille O'Neal could have looked that critter right in the eye, but I would have had to stand on a ladder. All the neighbors came over, and we all stood there staring at the moose, and the moose stared right back. I can't say the moose was particularly impressed, but I sure as hell was. The animal got out of the yard by knocking down a wire fence like it was a spiderweb. No, I didn't try to stop her.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
Man that looks nice! I fish the usual inlets on the south side of the CBBT when I go there, but this looks very nice!