Author Topic: Conventional Reels  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Conventional Reels
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »
Hey guys - I need some sane advice. I'm in the market for a conventional rig to throw the tins I've been making. (and a few of Salty's if I live another 30 years or so) Been reading up on reels, starting with Penn and Garcia Ambassadeur, and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus on anything. So far, the plan is pretty much a rod in the 10-ft range and 20-30 pound test mono to throw stuff in the 2-4 ounce range. I don't plan to throw bait, except maybe for flounder. I'm not an equipment snob, so I'll probably go with a Tica or even an Ugly Stik, but I'm a little more careful with reels. Been checking out some of the old squidders, etc, on eBay, and I could probably make do with something like that, but I'm not sure it would be a smart move, especially with all the bells and whistles the newer stuff has. I haven't used conventional gear since the 1960's, and I'm completely ignorant when it comes to modern casting reels. About the only thing I know is that I've already got a callused thumb from guitar pickin', so that should help. Any advice would be welcome. Saw a lot of bass yesterday, which tells me it's time to get off my butt and make a decision.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Conventional Reels
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
I use a squidder and an abu 7000, both are excelent, you'd be better with the abu with the lighter stuff, the squidder will throw the heavy stuff good though. Your gonna be reeling your ass of though, stick with a spinner for tins. The squidder is used for heavy bait only, the abu is for bait and heavy bucktails, plastic's, metal lips from a jetty.
MSA-10730
LIBBA-952

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »
I only fish conventional on my jigging rods. I suck at casting conventional

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
cant help u there cause i only use penn spinning reels......... 8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
you name it and I got it or had it and by far hands down the best reel out there (I find) is the diawa luna.
period.  I have 3 and love them, I can cast a tin a country mile, backlashes are nil. bombers no sweat. now if the wind is blowin in your face and your throwin a bomber, good luck.  had the shimano 401te and it wasn't as nice as the lunas. luna is belt better then the shimano and it costs less, go figure.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Jimmy, I'm definitely gonna check out those Daiwas. Throwing tins is exactly what I have in mind. Got a spinning rig for the lighter stuff.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
I've thrown 6500 Abu's for years and I swear by them...threw the Newells and Penn Squidder modifies out as soon as I got my hands on them. If you are interested in modding them to get the distance, let me know. I'm good for about 150yards with a 2 oz. tin...even in a moderats breeze...

They are pretty easy to work on and maintain.
I have the Diawa SLX20SHA and it casts nice. I also have a Penn 525 and it is okay. I just love my Abus..

Offline Out Fishing

• member of the beat ratty club of north america
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
I use a high speed adu 7000 big game....you'll want the high speed
fishpimping east coast style

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Thanks again for the input. I wound up going with an Avet on a 9-foot Mojo Surf with 30-pound braid. I couldn't find a Daiwa in the area, and I didn't want to buy anything I couldn't try out first. Lyme disease has limited my fishing this fall, (again!) but I love the rig I bought the few times I've been able to get out and use it. I've snapped off a few tins, but my technique is improving with practice. I really like casting conventional, it's a lot of fun. I appreciate the help.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
Petrejay,
            I agree, conventional casting is a lot of fun. Esp.metal,some plugging. Give up a few too...
I have an 8' St.Croix Tidemaster with a Penn 525 mag.
 Love to hear that ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Good luck with the Lyme disease, hear it can be hard on the joints.
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
Peterjay,

You will love the Avet. A well made all-American reel that has a good fit up. I have an MX for butterfly jigging and I love it! Haven't tried to cast it but I'm sure I could.

I've been surfcasting conventional for over 30 years now and I wish I had a nickel for each lure snapped or birdsnest I created...I also agree about the screaming reel...

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
I use my lunas fishing rubbers in the mans. inlet. don't go the the surf much with them maybe I should.
although my old favorite thing to do was fluke from the surf with a steelhead rod with an abu on it. always used jigs so casting wasn't much a problem.