Author Topic: Sealing my first lure, oopps  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Sealing my first lure, oopps
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
Long time listener, first time caller. Made my first plug and sealed it in spar urethane and what I thought was mineral spirits but really was acetone. It seemed to work fine & dried fine. Should I just mix another batch with m.s. or leave it be? Also can I cut open a closed eye vmc hook if I decide to not use a split ring? Thanks.  :-\

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Sealing my first lure, oopps
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:49:24 AM »
MMM To quote my favorite show as a kid....Danger Will Robinson Danger!

So I've never heard of Spar Urethane being cut with acetone. While acetone is a polar solvent and is compatible with many things, it's also just that.. a solvent. I'd be very concerned about putting any kind of paint over this. At a minimum I'd let these lures dry for a week or so in a warm place then probably sand and re-dip. Acetone will tend to interact with other coatings over it causing lifting finishes, bubbles, etc.

Personally and I know you will not like to hear this, I would try to finish them but remember they could be doomed. Don't put alot of effort into them just in case.

CUT hooks......

I've spoken with VMC about this in past years when this all became the rage. Is not recommended. It will open easier, it will void the permasteel coating, and it will rust faster. Just the weakness issue alone I would not recommend. Use a small triple split ring and be done with it. There is alot of "hype" on the interblab about this. It is just hype.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
Thanks for the advise about the acetone,i should of labeled the bottle. I will mix another batch when I have more plugs to seal. I thought that cutting the hook would leave the hook end exposed and would rust faster, no big deal will be buying cut hooks or using smaller split rings. My only concern was with making needles and having it hang to low, which sometimes isn't a bad thing, ( the hooks I mean) Thanks again! :)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Chuckling at your comment.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts