Author Topic: Help me epoxy is a MESS!  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Help me epoxy is a MESS!
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
Hey all,

I am a beginner with the whole lure making and I have just bought all the supplies and wood blocks from yours truly. I am having a tough time with my epoxy. I am using Parks super glaze (2 part epoxy). Do you guys dip your plugs in epoxy or brush on? Also how do you keep the holes clear of epoxy? IF any of you could give me a step by step or even post a video on how you do your epoxy that would be amazing. Right now I have a lure that I hand carved from a dowel turning on an automatic watch winder that I took from my dad  ;D Salty, when using devcon 2 part epoxy how do you apply it on so you get that clean look to your lures?

Thanks a ton, Scott

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Help me epoxy is a MESS!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19:06 AM »
ok make sure if your using createx paints that you heat seal them, 1/2 hour at 110 degrees is all you need I believe.

Thin your epoxy very slightly with a bit of denatured alcohol or some acetone. Take a acid brush (I sell a different brush on the site that is great for doing this because they have glued and crimped hairs which keep the hairs on the brush not your plug), cut the bristles down in 1/2 with a pair of scissors. use the acid brush to "draw" the epoxy across the lure. Alternatively you can do this with a finger and "smear" the epoxy on (wear gloves) in a very thin coat. Do not coat thick. Keep the epoxy flat if you can...don't let it sit in a cup or it will cure REAL quick. I think alot of guys use a piece of tin foil made into a little saucer to keep the epoxy flat.

Flip end to end several times while it cures. Keep your coating THIN so not to add weight to the lure.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »
you can put straws in holes, also use old playing cards for lip slots, just make sure it gets out before it's fully cured.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »
Different humidities and temps will play havic with epoxy and drive you crazy around 70 degrees is a good temp to work in a cool place like a basement is good and if your not spinning them it helps epoxy cures by heat when mixed so the warmer the faster it cures and just the opposite in cooler temps oil on your hands will not let the epoxy stick to the plug wear gloves.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
not to sure about parks two part i have it in my shop and used it on plugs before but had no real success with it let me know how you make out.........
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your help. I was waiting to get Salty's eyes to throw on the lure and I will send in a picture later tonight. As for the parks 2 part glaze I think it works fairly well. I have it on my beerpong table in college and its remained waterproof for 3 years now. Also a quick question: Should I be trying to get epoxy into the through-wiring hole? Thanks to everyone for the help.

My Shop fox mini lathe should be delivered tomorrow and I have just got all my wood and supplies from Salty.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
If the plug is sealed well you shouldn't need to epoxy the thru wire hole it won't hurt but it may set up inside and you will need to redrill it to put the wire in check that before you paint it if you are going to do so.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Yeah, I put on 3 or 4 coats of sanding sealer soo I'm thinking it should be enough

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
sometimes when im epoxing the belly gromitt in ill put some in the hole and swurl it around the edges as not to hit bottom.......just a lil dab will do ya  :wink:
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »
I soak mine in sanding sealer so it gets absorbed inside and out I don't brush it on it needs to penetrate so the plug doesn't absorb water and crack.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
Should I really let the lure soak? I usually dip the lure, hang to dry and sand. Probably do around 3 or 4 times

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »
I find it easier to let them soak submerged in sanding sealer until you don't see any tiny bubbles rising out of the plug(thanks Handy) that is a pretty good indicator the wood has absorbed as much as it can.