Author Topic: making scales  (Read 13886 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: making scales
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »

definitely need to keep the coats lite and not be in a hurry.  As for getting the netting, try the local fabric store, I went to one in town and got some of the lace, actually scraps or ends for cheap.  And, you can get some intricate patterns instead of only scales.

What else do ya do in Mn in the winter??
Minnesota Musky Maniac

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »
welcome muskymn........nice looking halftrack..........schuster resort?.....by the looks of things there ........it looks like the last resort......no doors or windows.......that guy in the halftrack...........he aint gettin out to quickly eather........the pic with your name NICE fish  8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks,  yup, 15 miles out on Lake of Woods on the Canadian border waters.  This is walleye time, I think the ice house was made from an old shipping container!!  We are finally getting some thawing here, I should be on open water in about a month.

1956 vintage bombadier, they pick us up at the cabin, deliver us to the warm icehouse and bring us back at night.  All we need to do is drink, tell lies and fish!!
Minnesota Musky Maniac

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
now this what im talkin about...........say i saw those other pics nice musky........also saw your skuttlebuger.........hey were those stripes on the side of the lure or just battle scars from that musky.........later!

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 07:16:26 PM »
there's suppose to be a terrific musky lake real close to me. it's suppose to be loaded with them

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »
hey numbnuts.....sup......i never caught a musky before........and i fished lake ontario....but not for musky...........seems there kind hard to catch i think.........those pics of that musky  sure must have some sharp teeth

njfish

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
there's suppose to be a terrific musky lake real close to me. it's suppose to be loaded with them

What lake would that be numbnuts?  I live on a lake that has decent musky in it.  The larger ones are now over 50"  The Delaware has some of the best musky fishing in the state along w/ Monksville, Greenwood and Echo.  I live on Lake Hopatcong which is more of a newer musky lake.  I have aught some decent ones in the lake but have also caught some beauties on Greenwood Lake.  About 10  years ago I had my best musky day.  It was in the fall when they were lowering the lake.  I had waded out crunching through the thin ice and caught over a dozen in about 3 to 4 hours.  At that time Hopatcongs musky program was newer but most of the one I caught were still over 30" and 2 over 40".  Last year I caught several with the largest a shade over 48".  I did also catch 3 on some handcarved lures that I made.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

battle scars on the baits are earned, just like yours!!  We throw from the boat into the rocks AND the muskies like to gnaw on the baits a bit....definitely not something you try to thumb for landing.  Course, I have seen some crazy videos of you shorecasters, too!!  My fat a** would fall in and become part of the structure...I like the big boat under my feet....
Minnesota Musky Maniac

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »

battle scars on the baits are earned, just like yours!!  We throw from the boat into the rocks AND the muskies like to gnaw on the baits a bit....definitely not something you try to thumb for landing.  Course, I have seen some crazy videos of you shorecasters, too!!  My fat a** would fall in and become part of the structure...I like the big boat under my feet....

I don't know the name, it's off rt 17 in orange county NY. a musky fisherman I know swears by it.

njfish

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »
I know Greenwood Lake borders NJ/NY and I think that is Orange County which has some very nice musky fishing.  The lake is a bit over populated with boat traffic though.  Actually it is right off Rt 17a and I think this may be what he is talking about.  Some of the lakes and Res in Harriman offer some nice assortment fish also.  Ny also has some nice Pike and Walleye waters.  To me walleye is one of the best tasting freshwater fish and rates right up there with many salt species

Here is a musky taken from Hopatcong.  Although not one of my biggest from the lake(pretty sure was 45" ). Just have the picture handy.  Pardon the crazy eyes it was very late and we had fished through most of the night for a tourny

njfish

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »

definitely need to keep the coats lite and not be in a hurry.  As for getting the netting, try the local fabric store, I went to one in town and got some of the lace, actually scraps or ends for cheap.  And, you can get some intricate patterns instead of only scales.

What else do ya do in Mn in the winter??

Also check out WallyWorld (walmart)  I picked up around 3'x3' of toulle for around 60 cents.  I do need to check the fabric store though as I have seen some really neat patterns

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »
yea nj nice fish.......that som bitch must have gave u a good fight.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »
Do you guys eat Musky?
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
not me..........i dont eat freshwater fish  except for salmon.......ill eat fluke mako

for some reason pickeral  have a funny smell when  :)

njfish

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:03 AM »
Do you guys eat Musky?

I don't eat musky either, along with pike or pickeral.  My favorite freshwater fish would be walleye and for saltwater I eat about anything with some favs being Mahi mahi and Wahoo along with several others