Author Topic: sealing plugs  (Read 6035 times)

noons

sealing plugs
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
I seen a lot of posts about sealing plugs.  What is the easiest way?

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: sealing plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
good question and youll get a lot of different methods but this works  for me

after the plug is all prep from drilling   i like to soak my plugs in zinsser sealcoat  sanding sealer  just submerge the plugs under the sealer and wait till the bubbles stop  maybe 5/10 min....let dry.... sand..  and then prime... then add basecoat than paint your colors just make sure your coats are dry.......once dry  when putting the plug togeather i like to epoxy the belly weight and try to move some epoxy inside the plug using a piece of threw wire same with the hook gromitt... and when ready to install the nose grommit and threwwire i put epoxy in the hole befor the gromitt goes in  and i do the same in the rear slide the tail weight on put some epoxy in the hole put the tail grommitt in let the 5min epoxy dry for a few   just keep it simple  just dont plug up the threwwire hole.......then go catch some fish ;D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
 i found some stuff at lowes. its called waterguard waterproofing sealant. it says its got 5-way protction winter, uv, ect. and says one of the active ingreediant is linseed oil. i havent trid it yet just found it yesterday. does anyone have anyifo on it? right now i use a 60/40 mix of spar urathene and oderless mineral spirit and i soak submurged for over an hour or better wipe and blow off the access and let dry for few days.

rene

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
be very careful it doesn't contain wax.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

seaviewer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
I've been doing the same as handyman. Submerge in sanding sealer. I have done a quick bath and also let some soak overnight. I really haven't noticed a difference in paint adhesion.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
salt,i wanted to give val oil a shot and get away from the linseed mix.is it called "val" oil or is that a short cut for the name i've tryed a few hardware stores no one seems to have heard of it?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »
discontinued

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
thanks,i'll give the sanding sealer a shot.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »
Quick question in regards to sealing. I did a 60/40 BLO/Mineral Spirit mix dipped the plugs in and got em covered good then hung them for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I rubbed what was left into the plug with a rag then dipped them again and repeated the process. Do you think that should be enough to get them sealed?

Thank for your help, and thanks to Salty for a fantastic product!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:15 AM »
I'd give them a good 10 minute soak in linseed oil. I'd let them dry for a week before I primed them...

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:35 AM »
Please use caution on rag disposal!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:54 AM »
I like the linseed oil and mineral spirit mix. I put the completed blank in a bottle with just enough room so that the bottle is almost completly filled. I put the cap on and let it soak for a few hours or even a day. I take the blank out of the oil mix and let the oil drip back into the bottle for and hour or so. I then hang the blank outside for 2 or 3 days. I then rub the blank down with mineral spirits to remove the excess oil mixture, and let it dry for another day or so. They are ready to paint after that. I don't use a primer coat, and the paint holds very well. If I chip the finish on a rock the oil in the wood still keeps the water out. I'm very careful with any rags or paper towels. I store them outside in a ceramic pot and throw them in the trash after a week or so. This process takes along time, but the plugs hold up very well.
Live life one cast at a time.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Yep BLO soaked rags=Boom!