Author Topic: Tin Spoons  (Read 59472 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Tin Spoons
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
Jesus, I don't know what indium is, but I'm glad I don't have to buy any. If you used that stuff to make lures, you'd have to keep them in a safe. Just got some tin from that guy in Ohio. Looks good. I was talking to a guy this morning who knew Charlie Graves back in the early 60's - he said that Charlie never used tin. His stuff was all plated lead. I knew the current CG stuff wasn't tin, but I was surprised that the originals weren't either. The guy I was talking to has a bunch of vintage tins he's gonna dig out to see if any of them can be modified. I've been looking high and low for old tins, and can't find any anywhere. Plugs everywhere, but no tins.   
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »
The current CG stuff is both actually, there is a plated version and a tin version. The tin versions are lighter  and sink slower.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Unbelievable, isn't it? And that's Troy weight on top of everything plus $5 shipping. Why the hell would anybody buy at that price when you can get the exact same thing from Rotometals for $13.99 per REAL pound and shipping is free? God almighty, I'm in the wrong business.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
Don't know if you can tell much from the picture, but I tumbled the ones on the right for a couple of hours with stainless steel shot. The difference is pretty amazing. The shot burnished them to a mirror finish. I was wondering if this would work, and I would say that it does. I still like the ones I finished with just the Dremel, but the ones I tumbled are definitely flashier.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
did you tumble them dry or wet? you definitely can see the difference.I wonder what some burnishig compound would do.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
They were tumbled wet - just enough water to cover 2 pounds of shot in a 3-pound barrel, and a squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent. I did a lot of reading before I bought the tumbler, especially on some jewelry finishing sites. The consensus seemed to be that the Dawn works as well as any of the commercial compounds. (and a hell of a lot cheaper) Apparently, all detergents don't work - everybody recommended original Dawn or Ivory powder. I bought a 2-barrel tumbler so I could use one barrel for a mild abrasive run before burnishing. I think I'll pick up some plastic media and give that a try.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
Contenti makes a polishing soap that works PISSER on stainless. It's the only thing that even begins to touch the black mundge from tumbling. I've used Dawn too but don't find it cleans good enough.  Simple green works pretty good too. I use a commercial tumbling liquid burnisher for mine.

Not sure how either would work on tin.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »
The tins were pretty clean to start with, which is probably why they came out looking so good. The water was almost clear when I was finished. My wife's got a lot of silver jewelry that could use some cleaning and polishing - I tumbled one bracelet, and there was a big improvement, but it still wasn't as clean as I would have liked. I'll have to check out the stuff you mentioned. I'd better get this right with her stuff or my head'll be going in the tumbler next.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
hehe for sure

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »
ketchup

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
toothpaste

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
lemon juice

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
with a toofbrush