Author Topic: Tin Spoons  (Read 59482 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Tin Spoons
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »
  No, I never have. About all I know about pewter is that it's lead-free nowadays. There was a conversation about it on tackleunderground.com a while back, so I checked on prices just for the heck of it, and it wasn't cheap. I know the reloading and freshwater jig guys use antimony as a hardening agent, but I wonder if it would affect the shine. I suppose any of those alloys would work OK unless the copper and/or antimony dull the finish.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Interesting that some of these alloys have lead and some do not. Not sure what the copper etc would do with this. Probably be good to plate...bet that's how pj joe does it I bet his lead is a copper alloy to make it easier to plate.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
Could very well be - I seem to remember him saying it's an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony, but that could very well be only part of the story. It's not like he's making baby food - nothing to stop him from having a few secret ingredients.     

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
Just scored 20 pounds for $8.50/lb shipped. ;D Salty, this guy may possibly have some more - I told him I'd take up to 20 pounds, and that's what he's sending. Honk if you're interested. I should be all set for a while with what I have now.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2010, 04:22:14 AM »
I think I might buy a pig next
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
I'd think twice about getting involved with pigs. They'll squeal on you every time.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:32 AM »
DO NOT use this doosh http://www.theantimonyman.com/

I cracked my lead pot. I look around online and all I find is 4" tall pots. This guys site says he has a chinese one that is bigger. I send him an email. No answer for a day. I call and a woman answers with just a hello. Not like a business or anything. Didn't even know if I was calling the right place. Says that the guy isn't available to call back in a few hours. I said screwit an hour later and just put the order in online. I hear nothing for 2 days. No ship notification etc. So I send the guy an email this morning asking if this has shipped yet. Sends me back a flippant reply. HA! Crotchety old fuck he's 84 years old.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
C'mon Salty, give the guy a break. He probably got a little confused and sent the order to Stockbridge instead of Uxbridge. Or maybe Greenland or New Guinea. Or sent the invoice to some place he lived 75 years ago. A natural mistake. And I'd appreciate it if you'd tone down the way you talk about senior citizens. Hell, I'm a proud veteran of the War of 1812, (or was it 1912?) and I'm not the least bit crotchety....... unless of course, one of you ignorant sons of bitches does something to piss me off. Like asking a civil question, for example. Or making stupid comments about the weather....or telling me you can cast 300 yards.....or pissing and moaning about how your wife gets sick of you never being around during fishing season......or bragging about the pack of imbeciles you raised......or using poppers in broad daylight in the middle of July.....or coming within 100 yards of me on a jetty......or thinking for one minute that I give a rat's ass about your pathetic political rants when you think Benito Mussolini is an Italian appetizer ..............................what the hell was I talking about, anyway? PISS ON THE LOT OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, I don't have time for this shit; my daughter's on her way over to feed me my strained carrots. Wonder what she looks like. Come to think of it, I can't even remember having a daughter.......I'll bet the bastards are coming over here to kill me and steal the Confederate money I've been saving up......why the hell am I talking to you morons anyway? Up your ass with a piece of glass, you miserable pricks, I'm going fishing. And try to remember: just  because somebody's old doesn't mean they're crotchety.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
he's crotchety :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Just took my meds - I should be OK for the rest of today. And if you gentlemen will excuse me, the tunas require my presence at the shore. We hung around for two hours yesterday and it was completely dead. My buddy and I reeled up and as I was zipping up my bag to leave, (you guessed it) the albies blew up ten feet in front of the rock I was standing on. Nobody hooked up, but we saw more fish yesterday that I saw all last year. Hope it's the start of a trend. All we need is a S/SW wind and we'll be in business. Lots of activity is starting around here, and people are getting bass, some of them big.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »
I see molds  :)

6 of them to be exact

I see more masters tooooooooooooooooooooooo

I see butterfish and peanut bunker in two sizes

Hope to FISH with the molds today  :lurk:

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
I see molds with release on them and filled with parts.......................................

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:42 PM »
No dilly-dallying now....gotta get those babies on the market while stripers are on everybody's mind. I suspect you're gonna have a waiting list real quick. When my fishing buddy did his On The Water tin jig article last fall, people were beating down his door trying to buy some. One guy drove all the way down from NH to RI to buy a couple, and tried to order 2 dozen, but my friend has too much on his plate already. The public awaits the Grand Unveiling.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
i see TINS

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
The fish mold needs some more work I think. I had 30 psi on it and it wouldn't pour consistently, I dropped the psi to almost nothing and it filled all the cavities. I think the vents are too small.

The other tins I'll be releasing for testing to individuals that want to give me feedback on them (selective basis and you got to make some promises to me)