Author Topic: bubbles,cracks & yellowing  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Out Fishing

bubbles,cracks & yellowing
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
i've been doing plug kits for few years now and a few problems that have popped up are bubbles in the eyes,i always brush down to the tail to keep any bubbles down there i also exhale on the plug to pop any.after i put them in the spinner i check for bubbles and dripps for the first hour,but i'm still finding bubbles in the eyes.
the next problem is cracks this just started happing a few batches ago.i havn't change any steps.i thought i might of forgot to sand the primer beforepainting but thats not it.
last and most annoying is yellowing i have most of my first kits and use them,there white as snow my newer ones yellow in less then a month.
in the pics i tryed to show whats going on the top plug[surfster]is atlest 3 years old the bottom[danny] less then a year.
the cracks go down to the primer.
the bubble eyes didn't come out to good.
any ideas whats going on.rob

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: bubbles,cracks & yellowing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:49 PM »
sealer is not sealing first Rob. The cracks are expansion cracks..

The yellowing is from bad epoxy or the primer no good and bleeding out of the body. This happens on all the cedars. Try dipping them in a lacquer sanding sealer after you seal them. Or do multiple dips of the sanding sealer.

bubbles.

I knew a girl called bubbles once.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
bubbles can be caused by paint not being dry too....
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
sealer is not sealing first Rob. The cracks are expansion cracks..

The yellowing is from bad epoxy or the primer no good and bleeding out of the body. This happens on all the cedars. Try dipping them in a lacquer sanding sealer after you seal them. Or do multiple dips of the sanding sealer.

bubbles.

I knew a girl called bubbles once.

lol  so did I

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
yep your plug is absorbing water  wood is swelling  and blowing out the epoxy

and maybe your epoxy is old as far as the yellowing goes

what type of epoxy are you using/and sealer???

i my self like a product from ZINSSER......bullseye sealcoat universal sanding sealer 100% wax free shellac........submerge the plug in the stuff for  about 10minnow    stuff drys quick to

good luck           :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »
thanks guys,i was useing boiled linseed oil mixed with min spirits and thought that might be the problem so i switched to the sanding sealer[zinsser] and spray primer on this new batch of kits.
i've been sealing with envirotex lite,the bubbles are in the top coat around the eyes.
thanks again

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
Try letting everything dry longer Rob.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
A wise man once told me Plug building is a marathon not a race.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
i don't think its timing i let them hang for ten day after soaking three after paint[each color] and three days top coat.
what type of epoxy or top coat are you guys using i don't really care for the e-tex,the hardner is yellow out of the bottle.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
HAY RAC!!
like i said i like to use zinsser bulls eye sealcoat sanding sanding sealer 100% wax free shellac. drys quick  just soak your plugs in it 5/10min......it will lift the grain a little.... depends
my primer i use RUST-OLEUM ultra cover 2x primer.........i use auto-air pearlized colors
my epoxy i use flex coat 2 part epoxy  and measure equal parts useing a syringe  and stir for about 3 min   you will notice when mixing the 2 parts  it starts off clouldy but  after about 3min the 2 parts will be gin clear  i blow out the bubbles  and applie to the plug  than a slow spin to reduse sags....................tight lines good luck :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
thanks handyman i'll give the flex coat a shot.i was only soaking the plugs in the sanding sealer for a few minutes.i'll let them soak a little long next time around.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
say rac just keep in mind when using flex coat 2 part epoxy i use highbuild flexcoat  and they must be measured exactly  1:1  cant eyeball the measurement  thats why i use the syringe   im sure there is other alternatives of epoxy  but this works for me.......... :)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/CRB-Epoxy-Finish/Bubble-Buster-by-Mud-Hole

Epoxy Bubble Buster by Mud Hole

I think this stuff is denatured alcohol and water mixed together... watch how it dries off to the side...there is a water component there...and a solvent.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
Say Handyman, where do you get that Highbuild Flexcoat? Rich
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
msds says methanol and proprietary additive.