Author Topic: Sealing plugs  (Read 9930 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Sealing plugs
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
hey croaker  100% wax free shellac product # on my can is 00854......but that might be a manufacture #.... the primer i use is rust-oleum painters touch 2X primer......just let your plug sit in the stuff till it absourbs the shellac youll see these little bubbles comming to the surface then they will stop......wipe any excess off  with a stir stick or a used saltys threw-wire  i save alot of the cut ends of the wire i use them as stir sticks for epoxy or what ever      just let the plug dry good before primeming

good luck tom c.
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
Thanks Handyman,
Picked some Zinsser up today.

Tom C.
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
hey guys ..i picked up this stuff today,,,do i use it straight?.or do i need to mix it with something?...ty

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »
well it depends on what stuff u picked up......if its the  sanding sealer by zinsser  use it stright dont dilute it..... give the plug a good soaking  5-10 min but make sure the plug is submerged under the sealer and its an oilbased product....   and let cure overnight.....dont rush cause if the drying time is rushed  the plug could run into problems.......like bubbles in the epoxy and when the plugs gets wet the paint & epoxy will peel off     drying/ curing is emportant :)

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
hey Joe, Handyman really knows how to hurt a guy.  I'm the expert when it comes to bubbling paint and peeling epoxy off my finished plugs.     I'm still finding plugs that are bubbling. 

Handy knows what he's talking about.  The sanding sealer is really good stuff. 

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
you crack me up bruce :laugh:

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
thank you handyman.....i think i did get the wrong stuff.....i got zinsser shellac and sealer..product nu 00304...was the only zinsser product H.D. had....they did have minwax sanding sealer,,,,,should i go get the minwax instead?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
zinsser is what i use oilbased....shellac 100% wax free thats the stuff    you know just when im ready to do the threw wire and hook up the belly hook  i like to mix up some devcon two/part and insert it into the belly hook whole... not alot just enough to coat the inside of the whole....  just keep in mind that when you soak your plug some grain may rise in the wood lightly sand and recoat if needed.......good luck....

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
 HAPPY DELATED NEW YEAR TO ALL....SANTA WAS GOOD TO ME LAST YEAR.."BIG" BAG OF SALTYS LURES APPEARED UNDER THE TREE !!!

HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO BUILD ANY YET, NO HEAT IN THE GARAGE.....HAVE TO WORK ON THAT RIGHT AWAY  ..

ANYWAY I LOOK FORWARD TO USING HANDYMANS SUGGESTION TO USE ZINZER ON THIS BATCH...WILL POST PICTURES A.S.A.P...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »
say guys  just to let you know i was  looking for  some sealers     and found a product called WATERLOX MARINE SEALER.......i havent used the stuff but im gona give it a shot......i think salty mentioned this   in another thread somewhere.......type in waterlox search the web for more info...................its for exterrior use........good luck :)