Author Topic: The Dreaded Fly Thread  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Out Fishing

The Dreaded Fly Thread
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
Guess it's put up or shut up time; I'm the one who opened my big mouth, so I've got nobody to blame but myself. These are the only pix I've got on hand - My brother-in-law is coming over for a barbecue today, but once I count the silverware and make sure nothing else is missing, I'll put up some new stuff. I'm not sure about the order they're in.

Not many sea robin patterns out there, but this one is mine. I like to fish it when things are slow. Just kind of let it drift along subsurface with an occasional twitch. Got the idea from a guy who saw another fisherman toss back an injured sea robin, and a huge bass came up and wolfed it down.

Eels - again, most fly-flickers don't bother with eel patterns - big mistake. The bigger ones are well over a foot long

Crystal buggers - nothing fancy, but they're killer on spring stripers in the river.

Anchovies - I like to drive the plug guys crazy when the bass are keyed onto these little rascals. It's about the only time a fly will outfish anything else.

Needles - nobody has to tell you guys about needles. The big ones are about a foot long. I fish a 12wt and a 15' two-hander, so throwing these isn't much of a problem.

Herring/bunker flies - I usually put eyes on them, but I hadn't gotten around to it when I took the picture.

"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: The Dreaded Fly Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »
I like the needlefish those are pisser. The eels are sweet looking too. nice flies
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
excellant flys   tin man.............and you make good copies of dollar bills to... what type of ink do u use and where do u get your paper  :D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
peterjay{tinman}.............you do very nice work and your flies are  works of art.......im even impreesed with some of your backdrops  those flys belong in a fly tying mag  i cant say i seen better.............your what they call an
ARTEEEEEEEEEEST :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »
Damn I thought airbrushing plugs looked hard, I can't even imagine doing that!! Nice looking fly's.............
MSA-10730
LIBBA-952

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
say tinman......[peterjay]..........look dude......i think we'r all gona learn from you with your artistic phanomanon........if you can make tins with that signature series teaser tails............and those flys...........they should hang in an art gallary......to nice to fish with.....................i just cant wait to see some of the work you do on your new plugs........plus the back drops youll put them on............oh! you must also do the signature tail wrapps.....so youll stand out from the crowd and you crack me up with with the pic of that spitbull..........DAM! your squeezing hes throwt so hard hes eyes are just ready to pop out..... excellant work...........now show us the plugs

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm a fine art photographer by trade and my wife's a painter, so everything around the house is about art in one form or another. I should have my wife do the plugs; they wouldn't come out looking like any fish that ever lived on this planet, but they'd be interesting. Handy, you should post a few flies of your own before Salty lowers the boom and bans the fly flickers for good. BTW, the dog in my avatar is the craziest animal I've ever seen. Some days I want to lock her up in the barn, but if anybody (including me) ever raised a hand to my wife, they'd never know what hit 'em. That pup's worth a closet full of M-16's.   

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
sweet stuff

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »
Thanks Jim.

excellant flys   tin man.............and you make good copies of dollar bills to... what type of ink do u use and where do u get your paper  :D

Hey Handy - I forgot to mention that I get my counterfeiting paper from a couple of little old ladies up in Hartford who make it in their cellar whenever one of them is out on bail. (they're also professional hit-grannies) It costs me about $1.35 apiece to make one dollar bills, but I'm hoping to make up the shortfall in volume. Guess you can see why I've never gotten rich. If it weren't for my wife, I'd be living on acorns and barbecued field mice.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
well tinman{peterjay}......ill post some of the teasers i tie......i never flyfished the surf.......but have flyfished for steelhead in upstate NY and i do some flyfishing near PENN STATE........in spruce creek pa.....on private land 

now look............... if i post some teasers........dont laugh..........but your right i better post them before salty lowers the boom on both of us............and we get reported to a moderator.......and ban us from the forum :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »
buncha heathens you all are

:P

nice stuff handy those will slay
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
peterjay[the tinman]........i use these teasers for the fall run  sand eel patterns  or what ever the fish thinks they are.....last fall 50% of the bass i caught were all off the teaser............but i have to say your flys are works of art plus your photography.........nice

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
shooooooooo i guess we'r in the clear................thanks salty :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »
Handy, don't sell yourself short - they're great looking flies, very realistic. I really like the barred wings - gotta try some of that stuff. Salty, I might be a heathen, but I'm coming back into the fold. I didn't make those tins to hang on the wall. Gotta pick up a conventional rig for October/November. My last conventional outfit was a Calcutta cane rod that my grandfather built and an Ocean City surf reel - that should give you an idea of how long it's been. I used a 7 or a 9-strand linen squidding line as I recall. (if you know the breaking strength of 9-strand, you're too old to be fishing without a walker) Guess I've got some catching up to do, equipment-wise. My spinning rig is a little light to be throwing the tins I've been making. Besides, I miss picking out backlashes. I've already got some good thumb calluses from guitar-pickin'.

Jimmy Durante