Author Topic: The Dreaded Fly Thread  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: The Dreaded Fly Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »
cane rod! sweet!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
I actually hung onto that rod until a few years ago, when we moved from Maine to NY. The truck was packed really tight, so I wound up tossing it. That thing was a monster - I never measured it, but it had to be at least 12 feet long, maybe longer. I used to wear a fighting belt when I fished with it. It had wound clothesline for grips and hose clamps to hold the reel. It wasn't much good for the light stuff, but it would throw a 3 or 4-ounce jig about a mile and a half. My fishing buddy had one just like it, and Mom would haul us down to the beach every night with those monstrosities sticking out the window of her Rambler. Must have been quite a sight. The rods worked a lot better than the Rambler did as I recall. It makes me laugh to hear guys getting into heated arguments about the merits of modern gear, when we used to pound the bass with that stone age stuff.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
cane rod, Wow...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
I was thinking that it might be fun to build a cane rod just for the heck of it. Maybe I'll do a little digging around and see if I can find a source for some blanks. As long as you get the guide spacing right it shouldn't be too hard. That'd sure be a conversation piece on the beach.  :o There were still a few of them around when I started surfcasting - maybe 1960 or '61. They worked fine as long as you didn't leave them leaning against a wall for any length of time. Just what I need - another project LOL.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante