Author Topic: through drill needles  (Read 8934 times)

Offline Out Fishing

through drill needles
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
In need of help.  Never had so much trouble with through drilling till I decided to make some needles.  I usually leave the square stock ends on and drill through them.  The needles are so long that I cut them off and tried to drill it that way and ended up drillin through the side of the lure...Was thinkin about tryin to drill the blank out first this time...Any suggestions would be great...
Failure is not fatal, failure to change is.......

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: through drill needles
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
Madhatter do you have a drill press? Battery drill? Lathe?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
I have a drill press but it only has 2 inches of travel(bench top) I generally use my lathe with a chuck attachment, And I do own a battery drill or three....I think that  i prefer to use the lathe, just seems easyest, but I'm open to suggestions....

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
Well I don't drill with a lathe, maybe others could chime in here. When I have done it then always started with a short bit and went slow. Hunt and peck the bit every 3/4"  Hold the blank with a pair of pliers. Spin the lathe as fast as you can. The first few inches is critical as it acts as a drill guide for going deeper.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
hay madhatter   yea needles can be a pain when drillin..
on needles i like to drill out the bell weight and  belly hook holes out first.....and while your at it  drill for the eyes.
buy drillin out the belly holes there less hart wood to make your drill wonder less wood is better
now drill out for your tail weight 1/4"
use a short bit and go threw the nose of the plug till u hit the belly weight hole if you can go further try to hit the belly hook hole   and stop there
now go threw the other end were u drilled for the tail weight make sure u center the bit  u should be able to hit the belly hook hole go slow and clean  the bit as u go ............hope this makes sence ...good luck :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
much thanks gents....gonna give it a go tonight...i think if the beer doesn't make me think twice....happy St. Patty's day all...just kidding nothing stops me from working on anything related to fishing, the beer will stay cold lond enough till I'm finished tonight....

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
yikes i do it the same as handy, I'm startin to get worried

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »
hay!! cuz............great minds think alike ;D

seaviewer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »
Use a brad point bit, it won't wander off center. Even if you just start the through bore with a brad point it will help the longer bit stay true. Make sure your bits are sharp. I have a Drill Doctor and touch up the long bits frequently, it really helps. I'm glad you brought this subject up as I find it to be one of the more difficult aspects of plug building. I've tried several ways and currently the easiest for me is watching my son do it with hand held battery drill. Ah.....young eyes, he never misses!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
say maddhatterr.......you bring up a good point about the beer issue.......are you drilling those needles  while knockin back  a case ..........if so that could explain why the drill keeps wondering ...and your drill bit shoots right threw the plug..........no more green beer for you ;D ;D ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »
I save the beer for after....and theres no way I could put away a case...maybe a six pack, but fishing gets my full attention....The wife was on me last night to enjoy the holiday rather than lock myself in the basement with my ipod on blasting in my ears and wood chips flyin(she Irish if you could already guess).  Thanks for all the advice, I'll have to wait til friday to try it cause it just didn't happen last night and have a class to go to tonight....

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
Agree with seaviewer....invest in brad point bits.  All I use for thru drilling and have very few problems.
Also, go slow.  When I do have problems its usually because I am rushing things.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
Agree with seaviewer....invest in brad point bits.  All I use for thru drilling and have very few problems.
Also, go slow.  When I do have problems its usually because I am rushing things.
Do you use extra long brad points or just the standard size and finish with a twist bit?  Also What size bit your you gents useing?  I use a 5/32...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
I have both the standard jobber length and extra long (5 1/2") brad point bits.
I also use both the 1/8" (on needles and thinner profiles) and 5/32" on the bigger
lures (surfsters, dannys etc.).  I usually start with the standard length, drilling from
both ends on the drill press and then finish off with the long bit in the hand drill.
Has worked OK for me. 

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »
Got it...gave it a whirl last night and starting with a shorter bit, worked like a charm...going to try and find some brad points today.  Thank you all for the advice...

Tight lines,
Jim