Author Topic: Epoxying in weights  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Epoxying in weights
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
When you guys epoxy in your weights, do you thicken the epoxy? I am using West System 105/205.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Epoxying in weights
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »
In my impatience this is what I did. Mix epoxy, wet out holes (comments to yourselves on that one), thicken epoxy with colloidal silica filler WS406, put that in the holes followed by the weights. I think I'm in the ballpark, but feedback is great.  Oh and Salty, I have 3 plugs at home now and can't wait for more. Haven't fished any yet, but the season is close
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
hay shrub.........i just use two part epoxy for the belly weight   i dont epoxy the tail weight.........but before the tail gromet goes in i put a dab of two part epoxy  and let it dry......i use the quick set epoxy  i also epoxy the belly gromet in 8)   
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
I think if you have the right epoxy your all set it will be well thick enough to gob in and stuff the weight in. Devcon, etc. Maybe the west system is really thin? I've never used it.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

gone fishin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Get your weight in a little bit bigger than the hole size -- then just hammer the shit out of it.  If it splits, just send it back to Scott ;D ;D ;D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:37:13 AM »
oh your killin me Don.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:47 AM »
Don has seen the "return" lure hanging in the shop. Guy bought a kit. Split the blank in 9 friggin places and returned it because he did....with a friggin hammer you could see the hammer marks in the primer and wood.

seaviewer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:42 AM »
Here's what I do......Devcon epoxy belly weight after sealing, before priming. On some of the smaller diameter lures it will be set deep enough so that re-drilling the through hole will be necessary. This alone is enough to hold it in place. If the weight isn't flush with the belly, I use a two part wood filler epoxy to flush it out then prime, paint and epoxy over the whole mess. Can't see it, never coming out. However, sometimes I want to see where the weight is for duplication purposes. Taking pictures and making diagrams solves this issue.