Author Topic: Which kits?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Which kits?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »
Hey guys I'm just getting to finishing up my first kit a stubby sandeel. I'll get pics up soon. I just started surf fishing last year got a keeper my first time out. I get great enjoyment out of building and using my own "tools of the trade" I guess it's just in my nature.  I build my own arrows and shoot a traditional bow and have also built a few knives aswell. I live in north Jersey and will do most of my fishing at sunset and after dark from the beach and jetties.

Can you guys give me some ideas on which of Salty's kits to pick up?

Thanks Jason (aka Skippy)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Which kits?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »
Sunset/after dark I would concentrate on metal lips and needles. You didn't say length of rod and size of line but good all around sizing for beach fishing is 2 oz and up.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
Salty, Thanks for the input. For now I have a Daiwa beefstick 10' with 20lb mono. I was only fishing clams in the fall then picked up same diamond jigs and sluggos. Figured if I was going to fish plugs I might aswell make my own. I got 2 of the stubby sandeel needlefish kits and need to order hooks so I thougfht I'd pick up a few more kits to work on. Any other useful info would be great. Thanks again

seaviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
and the addiction begins....................

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
hay imskippy......well my personal favorites in the salty plug kits are

1- the 1.5oz little blabber mouth ....flys like a bullet  and kicks up alot of water

2-the large scuttle bugger.....i always fished as a kid with the smaller ones for large mouths......has good action and attracks a lot of attention.....not only with fish but with other anglers as well....i like the large one 2.0oz  for the surf.

3- another favorite is  1.5oz super dooper peanut plooper a nice popper use a 5/0 dressed single hook in the rear so those toothie buggers are easy to take off i cut a tail weight 1/2 so the plug sails like a bullet

these are my saltys favorites :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent