Author Topic: Latest Tins  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Latest Tins
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
Thought you guys might like a peek at these: 2.5 ounces, pure tin. This was my first mold using pourable silicone, which I like a lot better than the mold putty I used for my first two molds. Much easier to deal with, though it takes a couple of days to make a 2-part mold. Still having trouble getting smooth pours, though a little sanding/polishing with the Dremel takes care of it. I suspect the tin might not be getting quite hot enough - I've been using a Hot Pot 2; maybe a better melter would improve the results. Still, I'm very pleased with the action on these.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Latest Tins
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:34:23 PM »
YO!!! peterjay............DAM!! nice work..............they look good to me :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:26 PM »
VERY NICE!  what are you paying for tin?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
Thanks guys. I've been paying $12/lb. shipped from Rotometals. Not cheap, but not too bad in the general scheme of things. For this particular jig, I figure about $2.50 (+-) per lure for materials, not including the cost of the mold. Could be worse I guess.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
yea it's expensive that's why I asked. I am going to do some tin stuff this summer but the cost is out of control.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
quit jerkin around scott and get it done!

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
 :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Yeah, it's one thing just making them for personal use, but if I wanted to sell these things, I'd never be able to charge enough for them to make it worthwhile. Considering that tin has to be imported, I doubt the price is coming down any time soon. I don't know how some of these guys are selling tins in the $5-$7 range and actually making a profit. I couldn't do it, and I have zero overhead here.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
well the main thing is that you enjoy a good challange.....and have fun doing it to..... those tins look great..........may be over the winter ill start making some   just for the hell of it.....its always nice to  fool fish on some thing you made

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »
It's a great winter project as long as you have a little open water to test the models. I made quite a few midwinter trips to the beach before the ice went out on the ponds down in back. Any excuse to get out of the house in February is welcome. (LOL)

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
say peterjay.......i forgot to mention the signature series teaser wraps on your tail hooks i guess thats your trade mark.............................nice ;D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:36:06 AM »
Those are damn nice tins I hear ya w/ the selling of them you can't make any money off of them if you do it is so slight it's hardly worth it.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
say peterjay.......i forgot to mention the signature series teaser wraps on your tail hooks i guess thats your trade mark.............................nice ;D

A number of the legendary surf fishermen in this neck of the woods used to make their own tins back in the 1940's and 50's, and they often used red nail polish on the thread wraps in the belief that it gave the impression of a wounded baitfish. Those geezers were our heroes when we were kids, and putting a red band on the thread wraps is just my way of paying tribute to them. I learned how to fish by watching those guys and by keeping my mouth shut and ears open when they were talking. (they also taught us the fine art of cussing and ball-busting, but that's another story altogether)

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
that some nice stuff