Author Topic: air brush paints  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Out Fishing

air brush paints
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
     Was just at RI show and bought some plug kits, now Im addicted. I sealed and used spray paint with good results but for future projects was interested in air brushing. I have a compressor I can use and was going to buy the gun with hose and different cups. Does anyone have suggestions on type and paint to use? Thanks for any replies

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: air brush paints
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »
Hi Pupu welcome to the site and glad you like the stuff! If you google Createx t shirt paints, or Taxidermy airbrush paints you will come up with lots. Dixie art or Bear Air are the two best places I think to buy. For an airbrush alot of guys like the Iwata line, and there is Paasche also, both are very good units.

Single action is the easiest to use, but Double action will give you more control for small details.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
love my iwata eclips hp......easy to clean  and maintance is a piece a cake
add a water trap to your compressure ....good luck
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• I have a fishing equip. addiction please help
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
one note from me is go with a gavity fed dual action. just works the best for me beside doing the lures I been carving realistic water fowl since the early 90'sand what I spent In cheaper air brushes was foolish go for a better brush once you use it for awhile you will understand
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »
what he said
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Pupu,

I've been airbrushing since 1986, I started out with a bottom fed, dual action Paasche VL 3, which was ok for illustration use. But, when I wanted to take up T-shirt painting, I switched over to a Thayer & Chandler Vega 2000 with a fine tip. Though, I rarely paint shirts anymore, I still use this bottom fed, dual action "gun" for helmets and auto parts. I don't think it's made anymore. I think I read somewhere that T&C when out of business, which is too bad really. It was an inexpensive gun that was well made and affordable, and best of all, it took a beating.

I also have a Iwata HP-C gravity fed, dual action "gun" with a #1 tip (extra fine), and a Iwata HP Eclipse bottom feed, dual action "gun", also with a #1 tip (extra fine).

I get my supplies from Jerry's Art-a-rama in West Hartford,CT. I spray with Createx Textile & Auto Air paints. I've literally tried the rest, but now I use the best.

Go here: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/airbrushing.htm

I've included a pic of a helmet that took 12 hrs to complete. I used Createx Textile Paints, and applied 4 coats of PPG Auto Clear.

- Jeff

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
SICK!!! That is awesome!

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
nice......pupu
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
I don't why I didn't think of these guys sooner. They're great to deal with, and I've even had the pleasure of being trained by a few of them: (Craig Fraser, Ryno, Terry Hill, Mickey Harris, etc.)

http://www.coastairbrush.com/

- Jeff

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
Can you guys recommend a specific airbrush kit that would be good for a beginner? (links would be helpful)
I looked up "gavity fed dual action", but im not sure if what I found is ok or crap-ola
-Thanks

Offline Out Fishing

• I have a fishing equip. addiction please help
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
main three from  good to best. At least in my opinion.

1. Badger

2. Paache

3. Iwata

spellings maybe weonge bit should work for a search amazpn is a good placeto look and research. 
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
I have 2 Iwata airbrushes (a HP-C & a Eclipse HP-BCS), they are without a doubt, the best because of the superior Japanese quality. I also have 2 Thayer & Chandler VEGA 2000s, which are American made, inexpensive to buy and very durable. I have NEVER had to replace a needle on the same airbrush I got back in 1995, and I still have that same gun. I liked it so much, I picked up a spare. Unlike the Paasche below, these airbrushes are very narrow-bodied.

My personal experience with Paasche was (say, "Pa-shay"), made in France, it was the first airbrush I ever bought when I attended an art school after graduation from high school. It was a Paasche VL-3 set ($80, at the time). My experience was the airbrush was expensive, the parts were cheap (and even more expensive to replace the part you broke!), the needles are flimsy and can be bent out of shape in a hurry - once the tip is mangled, it was impossible to get it straightened out to the way it was. I wouldn't recommend this airbrush to anyone. The body on this airbrush, is like the body on a permanent marker - it's very fat, like holding a Cuban cigar.

Save your money and get either the Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS, or the Thayer & Chandler VEGA 2000. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Here's the links at Coast Airbrush:

Iwata HP-C (Fine Tip) - http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=H4001

Iwata HP-BCS (Fine Tip) - http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL2000

Thayer & Chandler VEGA 2000 (Fine Tip) - http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=T61

- Jeff