Author Topic: Wire  (Read 3453 times)

paulie

Wire
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:40 AM »
I have always used 308 stainless for the thru wire on my plugs. I am having trouble bending the tail loop on the latest batch of wire I bought from a local welding shop. Has anyone ever tried 316L which is a low carbon wire and allegedly softer?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Wire
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:46:17 AM »
Something that many people don't know about welding wire is that many brands have flux cores built into them...that is what makes it easier...

I don't think you'll notice a difference on 316 unless it's annealed differently. It will just be more corrosion resistant is all.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• member of the beat ratty club of north america
Re: Wire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
over kill...I heard 316 stronger...who knows I don't...but I cant see anything breaking 308 wire...I don't think a tuna could, don't think a reels drag could but enought pressure to break it....someone told me its like 500 pound test? who knows ha ha ha I started with 316 and like 308 better...I've seen wire thats easyer to been, I guess every batch is different ;D
fishpimping east coast style