Author Topic: Questions from a Beginner  (Read 3554 times)

Borsuk

Questions from a Beginner
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
I've been making my own stuff for a few years, but nothing too serious.  I've made all sorts of flies, but just recently gotten into the plug making.  Here are some general questions.

I noticed that the belly grommets don't fit into the holes I drill with my standard sized drill sets.  (They drill sets are either just a TINY bit too tight, or they are way too big.)  What size drill bit should I buy to fit the belly grommet.  *Note:  This is the inner diameter - not the outer diameter (Which is generally just counter sunk)

My plugs are generally 'Just ok'.  From time to time I find an old fly from my beginner days of doing that and laugh at them.  I'm pretty sure that I'll feel the same way about these plugs...  So - I've been using Glossy Spray paint for my "Clear coat" to save on epoxy costs.  Any thoughts on this?  While it's not perfect, is there a way to make it better?

Sealing?  What is the safest (Least toxic to me) thing to use?  I'm not especially worried about fire, rags, etc as I have a place to dispose of them safely, but as I'm mostly working in my garage - I do not have the ventilation to use insanely toxic sealers.  What's the best option for someone who wants non-toxic AND only makes 1-2 plugs at a time.

I've been using very cheap Acrilic paint from AC Moore or Michaels.  It's like 33 cents per bottle.  I also have some createx - I'm using one of two (Also really cheap) air guns.  What's the best way to thin this stuff out.  Is it really just trial and error?  If it exists, I'd like to know a ratio.  50/50...  70/30... etc.  Any help?

Also, anything you might think a beginner needs to know.  (Pictures and videos are best very helpful)

Thanks in advance,

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Questions from a Beginner
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
when i drill for the belly gromit......i first use a 1/2" fostner bit  than i drill a 3/8 hole with the same style bit to recieve the gromit......the 1/2" fostner lets me recess the gromitt

dont try to save on epoxy... its a must.... since its water proof with out it your paint will peel off your plug  remember you worked hard to make a plug.......it also helps the plug take a beating.......
i like to use waterlux sanding sealer &  or zinsser  sanding sealer  oil based 100% wax free shellac......i think you'll be fine as long as you dont keep sniffing the can....just remember  dont rush the processes   let your plugs dry real well.....from sealing to painting & epoxying
i never go cheap...it can hurt you in the long run...... i use createx & auto air   thining with a little windex  will help......

IWATA ECLIPS  HP-CS easy to clean and to maintain
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Questions from a Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
ok borsuk
seal your plug....i use waterlux maraine or  zinsser.......oilbased......let dry real good   sanding sealer
lightly sand and prime your plug.........let dry    rust-oleum primer
paint your plug
install eyes belly gromits lips and belly weight  making sure you can slide the threw wire threw the weight..
apply your 2 part epoxy i use a dryer motor to spinn my plugs so theres no sags
one dried you can install the remaining hardware   feel free to ask as many questions as you would like   they might help others aswell..............good luck and welcome aboard
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent