Author Topic: Brand New - Hello - Please Help  (Read 12470 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Brand New - Hello - Please Help
« on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »
Hello All, hope everyone is doing well.

Brand new to this awesome site.

Hopefully you guys can help me out in regards to building plugs in regards to plug kits. I am very anxious to purchase multiple plug kits from saltys website, but first I need to have some questions answered. I apologize in advance if any of the questions are just plain stupid! Please see below...

Regarding the plug kits. Does anyone have a step by step for any kit? It looks self explanatory in regards to the kit, but i just wanted to see how an actual kit is put together. The reason for this is in regards to the thru wire. Is it simple as pushing it through the plug body and sliding through the swivels? How is the "tie on" portion made for the plug? I assume the thru wire is just bent into this shape for the front tie on of the plug? Sorry again for the questions, I just want to make sure before I go crazy with all these awesome kits:)

In regards to painting...this is my biggest question :
-I imagine I would seal the plug body before doing anything else?

-After the plug body is sealed I would imagine I then paint.....adding the hardware and eyes last?

-In regards to painting....is their a special process to follow - something like this.....1.primer 2.clear coat. 3. paint. 4.clearcoat. 5. paint....etc

-Should I clear coat just 1 time, 2 times? After every time I paint? How do I obtain a nice glossy finish?

-In regards to painting, how do I do multiple color plugs? Would it be simple as letting the first color/clear coat dry, tape the plug off then start with the second color? etc?

Thanks so much in advance - look forward to learning many attributes from everyone - hope I did not ask to many questions, just drooling at the bit to get into plug kits:) bananalama

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Brand New - Hello - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
Well I'm new at the building of plugs but not painting and finishing. On the home page down near the bottom click on the link to http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/kitinstructionspage.htm and there you will find a photo of each kit. Also at the bottom of that page you will find http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/kitinstructions/assembly_tips_2_oz_topwater_kit.htm and Wiring a fishing lure tail wrap by Salty's Wood Lures this should get you started. The best way to achieve quality paint work in my opinion is by airbrush but can be done with other methods, most of my experience has been with crank baits. Start here and you can refine your questions from there.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
well this is what i do.................  most emportant  dont rush.....let your plugs dry on each step

1st seal the plugs        waterlux marine    thats what i use    theres other sealers    let it cure

2nd prime your plugs i use RUST-OLEUM  2X Primer white.........let cure

3rd lightly sand the primer  and wipe clean  then paint your base coat  i always use white  RUST-OLEUM metallic pearl mist as the base
4th  Air brush your colors......i dont use any clearcoats  i just air brush and make sure your paints are good and dry each and every step

5 at this step i like to put in the belly grommet in with 2 part epoxy.... before i apply the  E-TEX 2 part   ( Envirotex lite )

6 mix equal parts E-tex  and mix   at this time i add a little glitter   fine glitter ( CS coatings )   and i do 2 coats of the E-tex

7 after coating the plugs with E-TEX i spin the plugs with a  ROD DRYER MOTOR   this is a slow revolving motor which  move the E-TEX evenly around the plugs    all your steps should be  dry  dont rush

8 add your hardware  and go fishing
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
Thank you guys very much for your help. Much appreciated. I assume the best way is to jump right into it, but i have ocd and i like to make sure i know what i am doing, plus i would like my plugs to come out nice :) look forward to future conversations thanks again

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
I assume there are really no rules to the painting steps correct? You can tape off half of the plug and paint it, let dry, then paint your next color? You can tape off design patterns too right? No rules? Thanks fellas!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
FliesnPlugs as I said by email all your questions can be answered here on this forum or here: http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/kitinstructionspage.htm will take you to anything you need. There is a pictorial for every kit. It's all been asked before and I give people the information they need up front...though most don't take the time to read it...like the guy who hammered a weight into a kit in a wrong hole then returned it because the body split  :D
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »
You can tape off half of the plug and paint it, let dry, then paint your next color? You can tape off design patterns too right? No rules? Thanks fellas!

I would stay away from taping nothing in nature has hard lines like tape would create, It can assist in some instances though. You will find it doesn't take a whole lot of practice to fade your paint down from the top and get a more realistic paint job. Here's a tip take a piece of white PVC pipe and paint it as your going to paint your plug you will get a good representation of what it will look like and can adjust before committing to the plug. Layering is a major component to a good paint job remember starting with the weakest paint i.e. light colors is always a good bet when layering.

Here's an example I prime white, spray pearl white completely, spray with metallic yellow from bottom to half way up, spray top to mid point with lime green, spray lightly with homemade olive green almost but not covering lime, them spray black right down the spine and fade 1/4 of the way down, this allows some of the under coat colors to show through be extra careful with black at any time it is unforgiving remember the strength of an airbrush is it's ability to spray a fine thin layer of controlled paint. Also do some research on masking material I bought some stuff from Joanne's fabric that was wedding vail material, it had varying levels of ability for paint penetration as you can see by the top water bass plug in the pictures above, nice affect, to learn a little more try Dakota lakes tackle on youtube he has some great video's on painting crank baits that you may apply to larger plugs.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
screw the tackle pics...send address I'm on the way for some of this LOL

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
btw fliesnplugs... http://www.STRIPERSONLINE.com/t/950822/plug-kits

You can't mention my name there because the owner of the site is a miscreant little toad. He has all his little bitches like Jigman etc do his dirty work every day. Jigman is Andrew Bradbury from Kentucky who has been selling tackle under the table for many years. Along with most others on that site. The site owner takes a 25% cut of every illegal lure sold there and knows that it's illegal what they're doing.

I have issues with people who do this stuff and avoid taxes that I have to pay. I told the site owner to stick it up his azz many years ago and to this day feel good that I did. He and others like Charleston (another tax avoider) have done everything they can to take business away from me as a result....Hence why you can't say my name on there. These guys are so childish they think this stuff hurts me. Google will tell you what kind of person I am as does my own website.  It's a shame they have to perpetuate a private issue made very public.

As an after edit:  http://www.STRIPERSONLINE.com/t/955065/kit-sources

Like I said..

Back to plugs.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
screw the tackle pics...send address I'm on the way for some of this LOL

HaHa yeah I'm a member of a local fishing forum and occasionally we put up recipes when the fishing is so so ;)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
We've done a few boiled dinners for cookouts in the past LOL need a few beers in the water  ;D

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
YEA!!!!!! WHAT HE SAID screw the plugs ..........dinner at saltys......DAMB!!!!! scott thats finger lick'n good stuff

nice look'n seafood    man  MAQUINNS SCOTCH ALE  to wash it all down     :wink:
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
Awesome posts thanks fellas

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
No problem regarding sol. I enjoy the help here so far..awesome site

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
I never judge a book by its cover...never have never will. I learned a long time ago people like to talk shit but have their own skeletons to worry about. Regarding online and word of mouth equals a great rep you have salty. I only go by my expierence and it's been great. Look forward to more info on this great site!