Author Topic: Newbie...Stupid question  (Read 20952 times)

keale

Newbie...Stupid question
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
As stated, Newbie...I just got the Hobby Lathe from grizzly for my Christmas present, no idea how to turn lures....HELP!   

Actually my question is to do with PAINTING... Do I need to airbrush my lures? Is there a applicator that I can attach to a paint can?   
So, when you stop laughing, I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Newbie...Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Before you turn your lathe on I would suggest you spend some time watching youtube to learn basic turning skills and tool safety. You can get hurt very easily.

Most guys that paint with spray cans use what's called a "frisket" to mask things off or spray through. There are many videos on you tube on spray paint effects and how to do. I've seen some SICK spray jobs from guys online. You don't need an airbrush but for fine details etc there's no way to beat them. Single action good to start and dual action is good to upgrade to later when more advanced. Practice practice practice.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

keale

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Thank you.   "Frisket"? Is that a tool or technique?   As far as youtube,  are you speaking of the wooden plug turning video's?  or Just turning videos in general?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
turning videos in general. Learn how to turn and learn safety before you start so you don't get hurt.

Google frisket you should see alot.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

keale

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Hoo Boy, information overload!  Youtube is great and a curse!!  LOL!

Epoxy Question.... do I thin out the 2 part epoxy?  Envirolite brand?   I've use the 2 syringe squeeze one and thinned out with a little acetone...
I don't have a turner and trying to cut down on smears...

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
Recommend DENATURED alcohol to thin with not acetone. Acetone will weaken the bond of epoxy..it will also destroy paint under it.

Youtube can be addicting. Information yes. Some good and some bad. Beware.

keale

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
Is there a secret to drilling thru holes in turning blanks?  LOL! I bought a 1.5" Dowel and could not drill through straight.  I have a 12 " bit.  I have tried a drill and my hobby lathe...
Or am I going to be a life long Salty's customer?  Which I don't mind! LOL

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
If I get some time I'll try to do a video of how to do it on a lathe and a drill press.

keale

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
Maybe that's the problem I don't have a drill press.... tried doing it by hand....

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
Drill press is the easiest way. Lathe second. By hand is asking for failure. Can be done but not easily.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjM6NVy29bM

Please ask questions on the forum so all get the benefit of the knowledge and I don't have to waste time answering questions repetitively.  ;)

There's a video of how to through drill on a drill press.

keale

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
Thanks Scott.!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 06:15:36 AM »
your welcome! I'll do one for the lathe at some point also.

keale

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »
Is it alright to weight test my own turned plugs in water before I seal them?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Only if you let them dry for a reaaaaaly long time. They should be sealed before they see water..