Author Topic: Frozen Fish YIKES  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Frozen Fish YIKES
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
We recently had a similar event concerning speckled trout over on the western shore of the Chesapeake. North Carolina has had the same in some creeks. Reds seem to be OK, as they usually winter in deeper water and are less sensitive.  In case you guys missed it, Connecticut lost some stripers in one of the rivers. Freaky winter - I'm gonna be glad to see it go.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
Well get ready word is the polar vortex is coming back again this week. Jiggle the switch already will ya Peter? Nice to see you online. Hope your staying warm.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
Yeah, I saw the jet stream prediction on TV this AM. 65 today, but it ain't gonna last. Daffodils are coming up though, so hopefully, it won't be long. We actually had snow stay on the ground for three or four days at one point in January.  (boo hoo) BTW - the striper season down here was a bust - no fish at all inshore. I checked every day, but never saw so much as a boil. Not good.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
Wow! No fish that's not good to hear. All I keep hearing is "They're not in trouble"  I been saying it for more than 5 years now.

The sad part of it is I make weapons of bass destruction.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Yeah, that's why I hated to even mention it. They have a big $$$$$$ tournament down here in January, and this year, there were no entries. (they raffled off $200,000 in prize money) Last year, there was one. There are some fish out in the EEZ, and as you might expect, VA Beach charter operators were whining about not being able to fish them. To hell with the fact that those winter-over fish are all that's left, and they represent 75% of the entire stock. The truth is that until the past few years, when the USCG got serious about enforcement, those same guys were poaching the living hell out of them. Now that they'd be facing serious jail time, they have to leave them be. Boo Hoo! All you hear is how they're only trying to feed their families - not one of those clowns mentioned that you have to feed your family too. I shouldn't even get started on the subject; I get steamed just thinking about it. I had a major run-in with the fishing editor at the Virginian-Pilot last month over a story he did on the situation. Like it's all such a big surprise. Yeah, right.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
I don't know what the solution is Peter. One person has to stand up and do something. Isn't going to happen. I think we're beyond hope at this point. Look what they did to the cod already up here :(

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
I don't have a solution either that doesn’t require shutting down the fishery. Nobody wants that, but it’s probably moot anyway - the fish are gonna do that all by themselves. Would you believe they still have a special "trophy" season on bass down here? They actually encourage the killing of big spawners - in May, no less. The whole situation is insane. The powers-that-be should take a clue from the redfish success. It’s illegal now to kill a red over 27” anywhere on the East Coast, and their numbers have been off the charts the past couple of years. I’m just happy we moved when we did.

Jimmy Durante