Author Topic: Dressed Tail Hooks  (Read 3050 times)

Bob Thomas

Dressed Tail Hooks
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
I gots me a question.  Dad and I were talking (doesn't happen all to often) about dressed tail hooks the other day.  I said I needed to tie a few dozen for some plugs and he said just leave 'em plain.  It got me thinking.  I've always tied bucktail onto the rear siwash.  Then I looked at Salty's plugs I had hanging on my wall o fame and saw he didn't have bucktail hooks on them.  What are your thoughts.  Dad seems to think it would effect the action of topwater and cause the lure to tumble on a cast.  I said it was adding a sort of tail fin flapping back and forth.

Personal taste or is there some sort of logic.

Geesh....I gotta stop thinking....my head hurts now!

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Dressed Tail Hooks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
good question bob.........i always tie a bucktail on .........figuring it acts like a teaser....and also a tail flapping  and adds action...........never had any problems casting......i add a  tail weight to  all my plugs....some times i cut the weight in half depending on the size of the plug/popper  i guess its personal preferance    i feel the tail weight makes the plug  fly stright like a bullet  and the little blabbermouth popper dose just that 8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent