Author Topic: mesh scale painting  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Out Fishing

mesh scale painting
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »
I want to start painting some plugs, I have the mesh for creating scales. my plan was to start with silver metal flake as a base.Than put the mesh on and paint the belly white sides blue and top dark blue. Is this the correct order for painting? Also will I have trouble removing the mesh when I'm done and can the mesh be reused? The web site says to put the mesh on and just apply a light silver?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: mesh scale painting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
Hi Earl, there is no set order on how to do, it depends how you want the scales to look.

If you want a dark line between scales then you have to put a dark base on first, then mesh then spray lightly through. You want to let the paint dry before you move the mesh, as long as you don't put too much paint on you can take the mesh right off, if you put too much on then it's going to gob and will make it hard to remove.

A real easy way to do it is get a bunch of small split shot and cut mesh in 1/2, put split shot crimped on 2 opposing sides then line up on table separating split shots on each side by a few inches. Effectively you make a little tunnel, put the lure in and pick it up with the mesh over the lure, spray lightly both sides then when done lower the lure down and let the split shot sit back on the table. You can then drop the lure slightly and pull out easily without touching anything. Some use a sewing hoop to spray through, some use office supply binder clips to pull the mesh in tight to the lure and hold in position.

The mesh is re-useable and can be wiped down with a paper towel, or as in the case with water based paints soak under the faucet.

I have found the nicest effects by doing the belly, then side, then scale then top/back color.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: mesh scale painting
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Best thing to do is experiment.  That way you will find what color combos work best for you.  I can offer a tip on attaching the mesh.....I wrap the mesh around the blank and use small binder type paper clips to hold it in place.  After spraying I can hit the lure with the hair dryer and take the mesh off almost immediately.